The former head football coach will be a special advisor to President Joe DiPietro for community, athletics and university relations.
Fulmer had been a candidate for the athletic director job given to John Currie in March.
Fulmer will "serve as an ambassador" for the university system at community and athletic events, support the athletic programs in the system and work as a university advocate with elected officials and alumni, according to the release.
"Phillip has been a tremendous asset to the University of Tennessee both on and off the field for more than 40 years", DiPietro said.
"I was excited when he approached me with this position", Fulmer said.
Candidates in tight Georgia race make final bid for votes
He says he's willing to change the 2010 health care law as long as consumer protections and expanded coverage are maintained. The race between Handel and Democrat Jon Ossoff is seen as a significant political test for the new Trump Administration.
Currie gave a statement of support for Fulmer in the university's announcement Tuesday. He was an offensive guard for the Vols and became the assistant football coach in 1980.
Fulmer graduated from UT-Knoxville in 1972. Fulmer, of course, was the head coach from 1992-2008 and won a national championship in the historic 1998 season.
"As a native Tennessean who has given his all for the Vols throughout his life, both as a student-athlete on the field and during a Hall of Fame coaching career leading our program to its most dominant and successful era in modern history, Coach Fulmer is a flawless ambassador for our University and athletics program", Currie said. He was inducted into the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame in 2012.
University of Tennessee President Joe DiPietro has hired former Volunteers football coach Phillip Fulmer as his special adviser for community, athletics and university relations. He has worked with the UT President's Council as a volunteer since 2015, and Fulmer called this a special opportunity.
The University of Tennessee System has a presence in each of Tennessee's 95 counties.
- Netflix launches "choose your own adventure" style cartoons
- Airbus: GE Capital commande 100 appareils A320neo pour 10 milliards de dollars
- Sarfraz hopes Champions Trophy win will bring global cricket to Pak
- Seth Rogen and Stephen Colbert troll Donald Trump Jr
- Amazon The Inflation Killer Will Lower Grocery Prices With Whole Foods
- US hits 2 Russian officials, dozens more with sanctions
- Three new housemates to join Big Brother - but only two will stay
- Ronaldo summoned to answer judge's questions on tax fraud
- Le Corrigé écrit et vidéo du Bac L — Bac de Littérature
- FBI Investigates Anti-Trump Gunman Who Shot 4 People at Virginia Ballpark