Perez's expensive and ambitious "Galacticos" project, which later brought the likes of Frenchman Zinedine Zidane, now Real's manager, England's David Beckham and Brazil's Ronaldo to the club, had initial success but ended with the team floundering on the pitch, prompting his resignation in February 2006.
Real Madrid turned down the opportunity to sign goalkeeper David de Gea from Manchester United last summer, club president Florentino Perez said today while playing down the possibility of bidding for the Spain global again. Portuguese sports daily A Bola then reported that Ronaldo was planning on leaving Madrid and it would be an "irreversible" decision.
James Rodriguez will only leave Real Madrid for Manchester United this summer.
Spanish radio station Onda Cero say Perez was to "give his version of the 'Ronaldo case"' in an interview with them late last night, while an event marking his re-election was scheduled to be held at 7:30pm at the Bernabeu's presidential box.
Perez - who is reportedly dealing with an unhappy Cristiano Ronaldo amid tax claims in Spain - was asked about Madrid's interest in Mbappe and he admitted the LaLiga champions are following the 18-year-old.
Pakistan thrashed India by 180 runs in finals
Other team players too were given warm welcome when they landed at different cities today. Fakhar is a great impact player, he played like a champion batsman .
According to media reports Ronaldo is unsettled at Real Madrid because he believes the European champions did not back him as fully as he had hoped in his dispute with the taxman.
"But something really freakish would have to happen if he were to leave this club".
The prosecutor's office in Madrid filed a lawsuit against the 32-year-old footballer, who is accused of using a "business structure" to hide income made from his image rights.
Even so, Perez said he was convinced Ronaldo would stay and affirmed that his Real contract was protected by a one billion euro release clause.
Other big names in football have been accused of tax fraud in Spain recently. The club - which also won La Liga last season - lead the way in the elite European competition with 12 trophies.
- US Student Detained in North Korea Suffered Serious Brain Function Loss
- Drone footage illustrates devastation of Portugal forest fires which killed 62
- Father of UVA Student Otto Warmbier Holds News Conference
- Radio host says his criticisms of Trump cost him his job
- Ken gets makeover: Cornrows, beefy bod and new skin tones
- Hamas rejects Islamic State's claim of killing of Israeli officer
- Box office triumph for Wonder Woman's female director Patty Jenkins
- BlackRock takes Scalable Capital stake in Europe 'robo-advisor' push
- Le Pen starts party 'overhaul' after election defeat
- Trump's withdrawal from climate accord was 'courageous': Murray Energy CEO