The Income Tax Department has charged six members of Bihar politician Lalu Yadav's family including his wife Rabri Devi, daughter Misa Bharti and son Tejashwi Yadav with corruption under the tough Benami Transactions Act.
Meanwhile, Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejaswai Prasad Yadav today alleged media is only spreading rumours about attachment of property of his family members.
Tax department officials had said Prasad's kin held some of the properties under their scanner in a "benami" way.
Violators under the Act, enacted in 1988 but implemented from November 1 last year, attract a rigorous imprisonment (RI) of up to 7 years and fine up to 25 per cent of the fair market value of the property.
The couple allegedly have links with a firm - Ms Mishail Packers and Printers Private Limited - which is suspected to have entered into benami deals for purchase of a farm house in Delhi's Bijwasan area.
On June 13, the I-T Department summoned Shailesh Kumar, in connection with the benami assets and tax evasion case registered against him.
Misa Bharti was issued two summons by the Income Tax department to appear before the Delhi investigation wing but she failed to appear both times.
Pregnant woman shot dead by officers after police say she brandished knife
Both officers were placed on administrative leave after the shooting, The Washington Post reported , which is standard procedure. Soon after, the confrontation escalated, and officers began shouting at the woman to "get back" before gunshots rang out.
Besides Lalu Prasad's residence, IT department officials also carried out searches at the residence of party MP P.C. Gupta as well as several businessmen and real estate agents in Delhi and Haryana's Gurugram and Rewari, in the wake of allegations by senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushil Kumar Modi, who alleged their involvement in corrupt land deals.
The department has issued attachment notices to Lalu Prasad Yadav's family over unaccounted assets that were seized during raids.
The market value of the total attached property is worth Rs 175 crore, whereas the book value of the attached property is Rs. 9.32 crore.
Lalu Prasad Yadav tweeted after the raids that he was "not scared at all" and would continue to fight against "fascist forces".
Lalu ki awaz dabayenge to desh bhar me karoron Lalu khare ho jayenge...
If it tries to silence one Lalu, crores of Lalu will come forward.
- Radio host says his criticisms of Trump cost him his job
- What we know about Reality Winner
- Donald Trump condemns North Korea after Otto Warmbier dies
- Arte diffusera un documentaire sur l'antisémitisme initialement refusé
- PGA Tour makes drug testing policies more stringent, starting in October 2018
- US Student Detained in North Korea Suffered Serious Brain Function Loss
- Phil Jackson 'isn't ruling out' trading Kristaps Porzingis
- Pakistan thrashed India by 180 runs in finals
- Le Pen starts party 'overhaul' after election defeat
- The Gilead Sciences, Inc. (GILD) Position Decreased by Oakworth Capital Inc