The Income Tax Department has charged six members of Bihar politician Lalu Yadav's family including his wife Rabri Devi, daughter Misa Bharti and son Tejashwi Yadav with corruption under the tough Benami Transactions Act.
Meanwhile, Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Tejaswai Prasad Yadav today alleged media is only spreading rumours about attachment of property of his family members.
Tax department officials had said Prasad's kin held some of the properties under their scanner in a "benami" way.
Violators under the Act, enacted in 1988 but implemented from November 1 last year, attract a rigorous imprisonment (RI) of up to 7 years and fine up to 25 per cent of the fair market value of the property.
The couple allegedly have links with a firm - Ms Mishail Packers and Printers Private Limited - which is suspected to have entered into benami deals for purchase of a farm house in Delhi's Bijwasan area.
On June 13, the I-T Department summoned Shailesh Kumar, in connection with the benami assets and tax evasion case registered against him.
Misa Bharti was issued two summons by the Income Tax department to appear before the Delhi investigation wing but she failed to appear both times.
Radio host says his criticisms of Trump cost him his job
After being freed from North Korea on June 13, he had been in a state of "unresponsive wakefulness," according to his doctors. But we choose to focus on the time that we were given to be with this remarkable person.
Besides Lalu Prasad's residence, IT department officials also carried out searches at the residence of party MP P.C. Gupta as well as several businessmen and real estate agents in Delhi and Haryana's Gurugram and Rewari, in the wake of allegations by senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushil Kumar Modi, who alleged their involvement in corrupt land deals.
The department has issued attachment notices to Lalu Prasad Yadav's family over unaccounted assets that were seized during raids.
The market value of the total attached property is worth Rs 175 crore, whereas the book value of the attached property is Rs. 9.32 crore.
Lalu Prasad Yadav tweeted after the raids that he was "not scared at all" and would continue to fight against "fascist forces".
Lalu ki awaz dabayenge to desh bhar me karoron Lalu khare ho jayenge...
If it tries to silence one Lalu, crores of Lalu will come forward.
- Ken gets makeover: Cornrows, beefy bod and new skin tones
- Amal gave birth to twins — George Clooney
- Donald Trump condemns North Korea after Otto Warmbier dies
- Injured jockey Frankie Dettori out of Royal Ascot
- What we know about Reality Winner
- Ford to build the Focus in China instead of Mexico
- Trump lawyer says president not under investigation, despite tweets
- US Student Detained in North Korea Suffered Serious Brain Function Loss
- Australian Football League pay deal links remuneration to industry revenues
- The Gilead Sciences, Inc. (GILD) Position Decreased by Oakworth Capital Inc