Beginning in July, three tracks at Penn will be closed during eight weeks of emergency rail repairs, cutting service by 20 percent.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo urged transit officials on Monday to discount fares for some Long Island commuters because of disruptions planned during Amtrak's summer fix program at Pennsylvania Station, the busiest US train hub.Amtrak's push to fix Penn Station's infrastructure from July 10 through September 1 will take three key tracks out of service and disrupt commutes across the region.
While marking the opening of the West End Concourse at Farley, which completes the first phase of the Pennsylvania Station-Farley Complex announced by Cuomo in 2016, the governor called on the MTA to explore "potential discounts" for LIRR commuters who hold monthly, weekly or daily passes, and who wind up on a train that terminates before Penn Station.
In response, MTA Director Ronni Hakim issued a statement saying, "Governor Cuomo is right that due to Amtrak's repairs some customers are paying for a service they won't be getting this summer - and that they deserve a fare decrease". A new ramp is now open that allows access directly to the LIRR tracks through entrances on 8th Avenue, steps from the A/C/E subway station.
Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village receives grant to preserve stories of uprising
William Floyd, Google's head of external affairs for NY , found inspiration for the project in his hometown; he and his husband walk past the Stonewall Inn while taking their son to school each weekday morning.
A rendering of the redeveloped train hall.
Other board members said the federal government should pay for all of the repairs at Penn so that the LIRR and New Jersey Transit can get back to normal without losing additional funds.
The new space will have skylights, retail, and 250-square-feet of space.
The move is meant to address the countless delays and derailments that have plagued Penn Station recently. The full project is slated for completion in 2020.
- Production Starts on New Godzilla Film
- Fort Myers girl found after Amber Alert
- Trump stumps for GOP candidates in House races
- Trump tries to boost legislative agenda in Congress
- Mercedes A-Class, AMG GT sedans shown to United States dealers
- Cosby trial judge rejects mistrial again, sends jury back to deliberate
- Does Trump Tweet Confirm Obstruction Investigation? White House Lawyers Up
- Milwaukee police arrest woman in arson/homicide
- Russian Federation ends safe flights over Syria deal with US
- Over 90000 inmates to perform asanas on Intn'l Yoga Day