The condition of Steve Scalise, the third-ranking U.S. House Republican who was shot during a lawmakers' baseball practice on June 14, was upgraded to serious by a Washington hospital after he underwent another surgery.
The rifle-wielding 66-year-old, who died during the attack, had a history of anger aimed at Republican officials.
Sava earlier said the Louisiana congressman had been at "imminent risk of death" when he was first brought into the hospital on Wednesday, and he received many units of transfused blood. "He is more responsive and is speaking to his loved ones".
"He underwent another surgery today, but continues to show signs of improvement", it said.
As Americans recognize the incredible role fathers play in our lives this Father's Day, the holiday is said to have taken on a "special meaning" for the family of Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.).
Netflix launches "choose your own adventure" style cartoons
Netflix is about to find out Tuesday with the release of its new interactive storytelling feature. What do you think about Netflix's new Interactive Storytelling functionality?
Trump added that Scalise is "having a hard time, far worse than anybody thought" following the shooting Wednesday. Also hurt but released from hospitals were two Capitol Police officers, David Bailey and Crystal Griner, and House GOP aide Zack Barth.
"While we know there will be hard and challenging days ahead for Matt and our family, the phsycians and specialists at Matt's side expect a full recovery", the statement said.
"The evidence from the shooter, this maniac who began firing at all of us, shows that he turned his religion into politics", Davis said.
During a press conference on Saturday, Scalise's trauma surgeon, Dr. Jack Sava, said he is expected to recover fully but will need "a period of healing and rehabilitation" after being discharged.
Scalise's wife, Jennifer, issued a statement saying she was thankful for the "incredible amount of prayers and warm wishes" the family has received since the shooting. "I'm prayerful he will pull through, and I hope he does", he said.
- Adele visits Grenfell Tower firefighters and offers 'tea and a cuddle'
- United Nations unable to confirm death of Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
- US hits 2 Russian officials, dozens more with sanctions
- Tropical storm warnings issued for Louisiana coast for potential tropical cyclone
- Seth Rogen and Stephen Colbert troll Donald Trump Jr
- Portugal draw against Mexico
- Ronaldo summoned to answer judge's questions on tax fraud
- Police say Muslim girl's killing near Virginia mosque not hate crime
- Pakistan pays India back in same coin in Champions trophy final
- La coalition annonce avoir abattu un drone des forces pro-régime