The Augusta-Richmond County EMA is now working to assess any possible damage in the area. The shaking motion triggered alarms in homes and businesses.
According to the USGS, it was a 3.2 magnitude quake, meaning that it was "felt quite noticeably by persons indoors, especially on upper floors of buildings".
The ground shook in Augusta just before noon Tuesday, during what has so far been Georgia's largest quake this year.
76ers official acquire number one overall pick from Celtics
With Thomas, though, the Celtics didn't necessarily need a point guard which is the piece Philadelphia apparently wanted most. Per NBA .com's David Aldridge, the Pacers might seek upwards of two first-round draft picks packaged with a starter for George.
Don Blakeman, a geophysicist at the National Earthquake Information Center, says the earthquake is considered minor. Nearly 500 people had reported they felt the quake to the USGS web site within a half hour of it hitting and more than 1,500 just before 12:30 p.m.
The quake was felt as far north as Edgefield and as far west as Thomson.
According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the quake registered as a 3.2 and was centered 3.72 miles southwest of Augusta, the epicenter just miles away from Augusta National Golf Club. Located 30 miles southwest of Atlanta, it was felt across an area of 5,000 miles.
- Coroner investigating Otto Warmbier's death
- Policewoman Killed in Terror Attack at Jerusalem's Old City
- Can Kinder Morgan Stay in Recovery?
- Ward celebrates big win while Kovalev plans protest
- The Bachelor in Paradise halted after alleged sexual assault
- Le bilan du feu de forêt au Portugal s'alourdit à 64 morts
- Tight finish seen in Atlanta congressional race, Trump weighs in
- Real : Zidane aurait appelé Ronaldo
- Attentat avorté aux Champs-Elysées: l'attaquant était fiché pour islamisme radical
- Amal and George Clooney welcome twins and announce it in funniest way