Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Union Ministers Sushma Swaraj, Nitin Gadkari and M Venkaiah Naidu and other senior party leaders deliberated on the names for the top constitutional post. Subsequently, Kovind succeeded in getting the orders null and void by the passage of three Amendments in the Constitution of India during the first NDA regime.
As a lawyer, Kovind took a leading role in providing free legal aid to the weaker sections of society, especially SC/ST women, needy and the poor under the aegis of "Free Legal Aid Society" in Delhi. Kovind belongs to the Dalit community Koli and had worked extensively in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar and also has the backing of BJP's ideological parent, the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. He is candidate for presidential election of 2017.
India's ruling coalition has announced its candidate for a presidential election, choosing a man who has championed the rights of India's Dalits amid protests by so-called "lower castes". He also served as national spokesperson for the party.
A Dalit leader from Kanpur and an advocate by profession, Kovind is a former president of the BJP Dalit Morcha.
Brooks Koepka wins US Open at Erin Hills with record-equalling performance
I mean , to be honest, it just sucks to not even have a chance on that back nine. " Golf is kind of boring, not much action". But the low scoring went much deeper than that. "It was important to stay focused and keep the pedal down".
Ram Nath Kovind, served as Member of Board of Management of Dr B R Ambedkar University, Lucknow.
As per the information available on Bihar Governor's website, Kovind was born on 1 October 1945 at Kanpur Dehat, Uttar Pradesh. Announcing Kovind's candidature, BJP president Amit Shah said that the BJP has always stood for the backward and underprivileged groups in the country.
Shah did not say whether the candidate is a consensus candidate. He has served as a member of several parliamentary committees, including the Parliamentary Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes/Tribes, Parliamentary Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment, among others.
Kovind practised at both the Delhi High Court and the Supreme Court for 16 years. YSR Congress chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy had met the Prime Minister in Delhi last month promising his party's support to the NDA's candidate for Presidential election.
Incumbent President Pranab Mukherjee's term ends on July 24.
- Take-Two takes action against more GTA V hack tools
- West Indies name unchanged squad for first two ODIs against India
- London mayor admits public anger over deadly fire
- Andy Murray 'wants to keep going' after reaching French Open semi-finals
- Andre Iguodala will be back with Warriors
- Législatives en Charente-Maritime : un taux de participation de 20,17% à midi
- Gap on climate change unveiled at G7 ministerial meeting in Italy
- Finally, Britain kicks off Brexit negotiations with EU
- Twitter Went Nuts Over This Sea Creature That Looks Like A Penis
- EU extends Russia sanctions over Crimea for a year