"I can confirm that the Vice President has retained Richard Cullen of McGuireWoods to assist him in responding to inquiries by the special counsel", Pence spokesman Jarrod Agen told the Post.
This would not be completely unprecedented if it happened in 2022, six years into Trump's presidency.
Pence chaired the president's transition after the election - a period during which Trump's former national security adviser Michael Flynn had repeated contact with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak.
He also reportedly told a group of Russian officials that the Comey dismissal would help get the Russia probe behind him.
In the 1980s, Cullen was special counsel to Sen.
Regardless of the outcome, the specter of Mueller examining the possibility of obstruction of justice appeared to be a new blow to Trump, whose first five months in office have been clouded by the federal and congressional probes into the Russian Federation issue.
Special Counsel Mueller Is Reportedly Investigating Kushner's Financial Dealings With Russia
An official of Trump's transition confirmed the lawyer's internal order, which was sent Thursday. The morning missive appeared to refer to Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general.
Mueller is overseeing an Federal Bureau of Investigation inquiry into alleged Russian interference in the presidential election and whether there was any collusion by Trump's campaign.
Trump lashed out at the Post in a Thursday tweet, calling the report "phony.".
Pence also claimed that Trump fired former FBI Director James Comey in May because of a memo written by the deputy attorney general. Opposition has been fanned by Maduro's plan for July 30 elections for a special assembly to rewrite the constitution, which critics say are stacked in his favour.The Maduro government calls the protesters violent coup-mongers, supported by the United States.
But at Thursday night's congressional baseball game, for which lawmakers were practicing when they were fired upon, Pence said the best of America will shine.
The emergence of the obstruction of justice inquiry may make it harder for Trump to have Mueller removed. Before turning to the subject at hand, Trump provided an update on the condition of Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., who was shot Wednesday during the attack on Republican lawmakers at an early morning baseball practice. A few days ago Mueller widened the scope of his inquiry to include a criminal investigation of the president. It's hard to imagine what that will mean to a conspiratorial mind like Donald Trump's.
Trump did not directly address the allegations that he is being probed for possibly obstructing justice, a potentially impeachable offense.
- Microsoft entretient la confusion sur la 4K de la nouvelle Xbox
- Vehicle hits people near London mosque; 1 dead, several injured
- What we know so far about the Finsbury Park attack
- Thousands in Minnesota protest the Philando Castile shooting verdict
- Pixie Geldof marries fiancé George Barnett in star-studded Spanish ceremony
- Vehicle strikes and injures multiple pedestrians near Finsbury Park, London police say
- One Dead, 10 Injured After Van Plowed Into Crowd Leaving London Mosque
- Trump hits 'pause' on Cuba
- Virat Kohli: It was hard to counter Fakhar Zaman's batting style
- Portugal's Coach Fernando Santos Plays Down Cristiano Ronaldo's Real Madrid Exit Reports