The European Commission said the one-day meeting between its chief negotiator Michel Barnier and Brexit Secretary David Davis will take place "as part of the sequenced approach to the talks" set out by the EU, which require progress to be made on withdrawal arrangements before any talks on trade can begin.
Britain gave official notification that it would leave the European Union at the end of March, meaning it will leave the bloc, which is its biggest trading partner, in March 2019.
Hammond said his presence at the EU finance ministers' meeting was "a sign of our commitment to being close partners with the European Union after we've left". There must be unanimous agreement by the EU's 27 other members for that to happen and officials have said that's only likely to happen in October at the earliest.
File image of Brexit minister David Davis.
"I'm not going to give a blow by blow account of how we propose to take that discussion forward", he said. "We believe that the withdrawal process can not be concluded without the future relationship also being taken into account".
"We are not turning our backs on Europe", he said in the statement.
Environ 40% de femmes élues députés — Résultats législatives
A 22h ce dimanche, déjà 113 femmes étaient élues alors que les résultats n'étaient pas encore tous dépouillés, un bon présage. La proportion des femmes dans le Parlement français a augmenté de façon constante ces dernières années.
Philip Hammond, Britain's finance minister, says protecting the British economy should be the main goal of upcoming negotiations over the country's exit from the European Union.
"As we enter negotiations next week we will do so in a spirit of honest cooperation, taking a pragmatic approach to trying to find a solution that works both for the United Kingdom and European Union 27".
More pressing is the issues of providing effective guarantees to some 5 million people - around 3 million European Union citizens living in Britain plus nearly 2 million Britons in Europe - who want to know what the future holds after Brexit.
The Government's priority in Brexit negotiations should be to protect jobs, economic growth and prosperity, Chancellor Philip Hammond has said.
They face massive uncertainty on health benefits, pensions, taxes, employment and education.
- Un poste de police attaqué par un kamikaze — Afghanistan
- FLDS church leader Lyle Jeffs in South Dakota jail
- Trump personal attorney says president not under investigation
- Allow screening of 3 films at Kerala film festival: Filmmakers to Naidu
- Mexico held Portugal to 1-1 draw in Confederations Cup 2017
- Macron Headed for Huge Majority, But Low Turnout a Concern
- USA breaks with G7 on climate, development banks - statement
- Katie Piper announces on Father's Day that she's expecting baby number two
- Vegas holds trade cards during expansion draft window
- McGovern: Judge's ruling finds Michelle Carter's words killed Conrad Roy