Statistics show that at least two thirds of those people overstayed in the country for more than two years after legally entering Australia.
Overall, the number of people living illegally in Australia on expired visas has surged by 6 percent compared with five years ago.
Numbers reveal Malaysians as the worst offenders with 9,440 citizens of the southeast Asian nation here on expired visas as at June 30.
The laws will allow Dutton to set aside an AAT decision to grant citizenship to an individual if he believed the person was unfit to be an Australian; he now has the power to overturn AAT decisions on visas but not citizenships. More than 70 per cent are here on expired visitor visas, while student visas made up 15 per cent of the overstayers and working holiday visas about 3 per cent. About 5710 unlawful non-citizens are reportedly from the United States and 3680 people from the United Kingdom.
The list also included Indonesia, India, South Korea, Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand who had between 2200 and 2800 people overstaying in Australia.
Trump decries 'witch hunt' but lawyer insists no probe
Deputy Attorney-General Rod Rosenstein has replaced Attorney-General Jeff Sessions as head of the Russia-Trump probe. This is a very complex matter, involving thousands of pages of intelligence documents, lots of witnesses.
Shayne Neumann, Opposition Immigration spokesman, said it was "untenable" to have over 20,000 visa overstayers who have also become illegal workers.
An Immigration and Border Protection spokesman said they were to use "targeted field compliance" to track those who breach their welcome. He now has the power to overturn AAT decisions on visas. The deportation was blocked by the AAT.
Among those who have overstayed their visas is one man who managed to evade immigration officials for 40 years.
Meanwhile, the government has come under fire from former prime minister Tony Abbott and others, who've linked Australia's asylum program to terror attacks in the country.
- Donald Trump not under investigation for obstruction, says lawyer
- Cosby jury reviews accuser's testimony amid deliberations
- Trump lawyer Jay Sekulow contradicts president on obstruction investigation
- 62 morts selon le dernier bilan, des victimes témoignent — Incendie au Portugal
- Trump lawyer says President isn't under investigation, despite t
- Lancement des négociations sur le Brexit entre le Royaume-Uni et l'UE
- Asian stocks fall after Federal Reserve hikes rates
- Russian Federation get off to winning start, beat New Zealand — FIFA Confederations Cup
- Apple iPhone 8 accessories already up for pre-orders
- Oscar sparks mass brawl in Chinese Super League