Many world leaders and US politicians urged him to stay.
Noting that the Trump administration had announced June 1 that the USA would leave the landmark agreement, the unnamed official said that this was because of the president's "America First" policies and an ignorance "of the fact that the protection of the global environment is in their own interests".
A string of state governors, city mayors and powerful companies were quick to pledge to meet greenhouse gas emission targets regardless of Trump's decision.
Russian probe looks into Jared Kushner's businesses
He asked Federal Bureau of Investigation to cease its focus on Flynn through Comey's intervention, according to officials. However, the decision was not unanimous as general counsel James A Baker voiced his disagreement.
Top Texas leaders have had little public comment on the withdrawal from the global accord, although the state's attorney general praised the move.
George Edgar, ambassador of the European Union to Cambodia, said the country is one of the most vulnerable to climate change, adding that the EU was spending millions of dollars on "targeted and ambitious" climate programs in the country.
The first law to come into force is Senate Bill 559, which states that "not only is climate change real, but it is the overriding challenge of the 21st century".
Almost three in four (72%) voters said they saw climate change as "an important threat" that demanded government action, and 50% of voters said they felt the USA should do more to strengthen environmental protections, "even if it hurts some US businesses". A few efforts, such as a reduction on methane emissions introduced by the Obama administration, could be overturned more easily. "But the bottom line is that the Paris Accord is very unfair at the highest level to the United States", he said.
In the United States, former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said: "One man can not destroy our progress". Another 13% said they did not know.
- Ramirez 2 HRs, Indians beat Twins 9-3 in doubleheader opener
- Stream Big Boi's Bumpin' New Solo Album 'Boomiverse'
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Police arrest 18 protesters over motorist shooting verdict
- Flyhalf Davies kicks Wales to win over Tonga
- Gloria Allred to Bill Cosby: "Round 2 is coming"
- Mechanic indicates Alexandria baseball gunman intended to return to Illinois after shooting
- Joe Root bids to learn from Champions Trophy agony
- USS Fitzgerald Collision Likely Caused by 'Human Error,' Not Tech
- Trump tweet appears to say he's being investigated by Justice