However, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson took to Facebook to attack Labour politicians for "political game playing", defending his record regarding the fire service as mayor of London between 2008-2016. Grief turned to outrage Friday amid reports that materials used in the building's renovation could have fueled the i.
Hundreds of people have taken to the streets of central London to demand more help for those affected by the tower block fire tragedy.
The Sun newspaper on Friday listed 65 people who it said were still missing or feared dead, Reuters reported.
At least 30 people have died in Wednesday's fire and dozens are missing. Of those, 10 remain in critical condition.
Residents had long complained about fire safety risks at Grenfell Tower during a refurbishment project completed previous year, but said their concerns went unheeded.
Earlier in the day, the 91-year-old monarch described the country's mood as "somber" but insisted that Britain remained resolute during a hard time.
Toyota décroche une pole record
Le constructeur Porsche , double vainqueur au Mans, viendra défendre son titre et, cette année, sans la concurrence d'Audi absent. C'était la meilleure expérience de ma vie.
The queen met locals on her way into the Westway Sports Center, which has been turned into a makeshift shelter after the blaze on Wednesday morning engulfed a 24-story tower block and killed at least 30 people. Officials have so far recovered 16 bodies.
Anger over the causes of the fire and the government's handling of the tragedy have grown during the week.
Engineering experts and fire safety specialists believe the building's exterior cladding may have quickly fueled the blaze, overwhelming fire protection devices.
Building officials have not commented since the fire.
Mrs May, already under pressure after a botched snap election, is facing widespread criticism for her response to the blaze. May was jeered after she made a visit to the community Friday.
May announced on Friday that her government has set up a £5 million ($8.4 million Cdn) "discretionary fund" to help pay for food, clothing, personal supplies and funerals.
"As we do everything we can to help them, we will make sure they have the counselling and emotional support they need in the hard days, weeks and years ahead".
Some residents had warned months ago that the tower represented a risky fire risk.
- India wins toss, bowls first in Champions Trophy final
- United Kingdom finance minister Hammond seeks "pragmatic" Brexit
- Harman leads US Open by 1 shot heading into final round
- BND reporter offers insight to local coverage of congressional shooter
- Donald to captain Chiefs against Lions
- United Kingdom said to accede to European Union demand Brexit talks focus on split
- U.S. president confirms he is under FBI investigation
- LeBron James denies Draymond Green's remark that Cavs star 'started the superteam'
- London protesters demand answers over fire tragedy
- S.Korea finds apparent North Korean drone near border