In the first World Superbike race of the weekend at Misano, Sykes enjoyed victory to reduce Rea's lead in the title race to 46 points.
Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team) recorded a new track best of 1'33.662 to win his 40 official career Superpole, and his second of the 2017 season.
The Welshman was diagnosed with a closed thoracic trauma at the circuit medical centre and was then transported by ambulance to Rimini to undergo a CAT scan, which showed the fracture.
Michael van der Mark (Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team) also spectacularly crashed out at turn 13 with 7 laps to go, with Rea close by, after the Dutchman had led for most of the race. With an impressive pace onboard his Panigale machine, Davies crashed with three corners to go, and Rea was unable to avoid him through the corner.
Seven Americans still missing after destroyer's collision as search continues
Rita Schrimsher of Athens, Alabama, tweeted: "Just heard the sweetest voice and saw a wonderful face". The accident happened 56 nautical miles (104 kilometers) southwest of Yokosuka, the navy said.
'I was thinking about making a move on the last corner but Chaz made a mistake and that was that.
Italian Marco Melandri was another faller on the last lap on his Ducati, crashing out while third on his home circuit as he gave chase to Davies and Rea in a thrilling battle at the front.
The second race of the weekend takes place at 12pm on Sunday before the championship heads to Laguna Seca on July 8 and 9.
- 'Morning Joe' Crushes Newt Gingrich for Pushing 'Grotesque' Robert Mueller Conspiracy
- Warriors win chip amid hypocrisy, rhetoric and absurdity of fans and media
- Missing Fitzgerald sailors found in flooded compartments
- Young and educated people more likely to vote Labour
- Palestinian attackers killed after killing Israeli officer
- Thomas bags US Open history with 63
- Youngsters have got us in final, Edgbaston is history: Sarfraz
- Steph Curry returns to Lake Tahoe for American Century Championship
- Attaque dans un camp militaire au Mali : deux morts et plusieurs disparus
- The top 3 miss US Open cut, Fowler lurking