The "implications ripple far beyond the food segment, where dominant players like Walmart, Kroger, Costco, and Target now have to look over their shoulders at the Amazon train coming down the tracks", O'Shea said. They kill the name, sever deals with competing grocers, integrate the service's customers with Amazon Fresh, and Instacart CEO Apoorva Mehta returns to Amazon with a very large paycheck (Mehta worked at Amazon prior to starting Instacart). The share values of major Canadian grocery companies are responding negatively.
Whole Foods, which opened its first store in Austin, Texas in 1980, now has 465 stores across North America and the UK.
Online retail giant Amazon announced on Friday that it had reached a definitive agreement to acquire Whole Foods Market for $13.7 billion. Japan and Britain are No. 2 and 3, both clocking in at around 7 percent. In fiscal year 2016, the Company had sales of approximately $16 billion and has more than 460 stores in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
So what will this deal mean for a startup that's backed by Whole Foods and delivers its groceries but competes directly with the chain's new owner?
Germany expects no delay in Brexit negotiations
He said: "I'm sure we all look forward to welcoming the Queen's Speech just as soon as the coalition of chaos has been negotiated".
Grocery giant Kroger said Thursday that its profits for the year would be lower than Wall Street expected, sending its stock plunging almost 20%. Kroger on Thursday said traditional grocers are competing for the $1.5 trillion Americans spend on food - whether that is a fast-food restaurant, convenience store or online. Shares of Whole Foods closed at $42.68 on Friday, up 29 percent or $9.62.
Amazon takes a hands-off approach for the short term, Whole Foods continues the Instacart deal, the hype dies down, I buy a hat and eat it.
Completion of the transaction is subject to approval by Whole Foods Market's shareholders, regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions.
The process was influenced by Amazon's own plans to build out a network that would have competed against Whole Foods, and given the technology company skipped typical Wall Street banker advice, Whole Foods was wary it would walk away at any moment, the people said.
Elsewhere, energy companies rose as oil futures bounced back from their lowest price this year and utilities and industrial and basic materials ground out modest gains.
- Mueller probe examining obstruction
- Trump tweets acknowledgement of Comey firing investigation
- Severe thunderstorm watch in effect in Wyandotte County
- Putin offers asylum to ex-FBI director Comey, likens him to Snowden
- Cubs Infielder Ben Zobrist Placed on 10-Day Disabled List
- Trump confirms he's under investigation for firing former FBI Director James Comey
- Dolce & Gabbana Promotes $245 T-Shirts As An Anti-Trump Protest
- NEXT plc (NXT) Receives Consensus Recommendation of "Hold" from Brokerages
- Islamic State leader Baghdadi 'may have been killed by Russia'
- Trump tweets hurting legal case - key adviser's husband