In an interview with ABC news, he said his military training took over. They did a body sweep of Scalise to ensure he had no other injuries, found an entry wound in his leg and applied a tourniquet to slow the bleeding, Wenstrup said.
"I had just gone to the batting cages and (was) coming in from the field and heard a shot and everyone got down".
Scalise was one of five people injured in the shooting, which happened shortly after 7 am at Eugene Simpson Stadium Park, where members of Congress were practicing for the congressional baseball game, police said.
Capitol police also saved lives, Sen.
"Steve was playing second base".
As shots rang out, everyone on the field dove for cover, Wenstrup recalled. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., told reporters. Mo Brooks of Alabama put pressure on the wound while Wenstrup worked, all according to CNN.
Fed hikes rates third time in six months
So when people say that the Fed shouldn't be raising rates when inflation is so low, Yellen just shrugs and said: Just you wait. Yellen would not comment on her future beyond her intention to serve out her term as chairwoman, which ends next February.
Brooks told CNN that "I held a cloth over the wound to stop the bleeding as Brad was getting some kind of scissors device to cut through the trousers to try to have better access to Steve Scalise's wound and his hip".
"I can tell you firsthand Steve Scalise was extremely fearless and did what he was supposed to do to minimize any damage", Wenstrup added. Mr. Scalise was transported to MedStar Washington Hospital Center for surgery.
NBC News reports that Scalise is in stable condition at an area hospital. He is grateful for the courageous actions of US Capitol Police, first responders, and colleagues.
He said, "Fortunately, there's the security detail there - the Capitol Hill police - or we all would have been vulnerable without return fire". U.S. Capitol Police Chief Matthew Verderosa later said both officers were in good condition.
Wenstrup, a member of the House Armed Services and Veterans' Affairs committees, has served in the Army Reserve since 1998 and now holds the rank of colonel.
- President Trump visits Scalise, other shooting victims at hospital
- Seconds podcast: The jury deliberates
- Kamala Harris has the mic now, so everybody needs to sit down
- More than 60.4 million PlayStation 4 consoles have been sold since launch
- Tottenham Hotspur: Kane brace not enough for England in Paris
- Video captures moment gunman opens fire at GOP baseball team
- Robert Mueller investigating Donald Trump for possible obstruction of justice
- Hugo Lloris sera titulaire contre l'Angleterre
- Fanny Agostini remplace Georges Pernoud à la présentation — Thalassa
- How Trump Brought This Obstruction Of Justice Investigation Upon Himself