The shocking event left the Capitol horrified and stunned.
"I am shocked & praying for the safety & recovery of my friend Steve Scalise & all the others shot, including the officers", Donnelly wrote on Twitter after news of the shootings. "He underwent immediate surgery, and an additional procedure to stop bleeding". "I'm just lying on the ground holding on to my dogs making sure they don't get away", he told NBC News, adding, "I'm sort of thinking, "I hope I don't get shot".
Also shot were a congressional staffer and members of the Capitol police force.
President Donald Trump says he has spoken to Rep. Steve Scalise's wife, Jennifer, to offer his support to the family. We are deeply saddened by this tragedy.
Trump says in a televised statement from the White House that while the political parties may have their differences, it's worth remembering that everyone who serves in Washington is here because they love the United States.
LeBron James says he never played for a "super team". Really?
It's uncertain whether National Basketball Association players are even eligible to play in the event. Check out the clip below as well as some of the reactions to his answer.
The Congressional Baseball game for charity will take place as planned on Thursday.
Filous said she saw the shooter hit a uniformed law enforcement officer, who she said was later evacuated by helicopter. One Capitol Hill police officer also suffered a gunshot wound and another officer suffered a non-gunshot injury. "It would have been a massacre without them". The attacker was shot and later died. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) said.
The shooter, identified as a 66-year-old IL man who had vented at Republicans on social media, fired repeatedly at the baseball field in suburban Alexandria, Virginia. It reportedly lasted about 10 minutes.
Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-Ind., plays for the Democratic team, which was practicing at the same time in another part of the Washington, D.C., area. Scalise was among those injured and was first believed to be in stable condition.
- The show will go on for tomorrow's Congressional Baseball Game
- State's unemployment rate ticks up, but more jobs added
- Son a doubt for start of Premier League season
- Sony Held Back at E3 2017, Says President Shuhei Yoshida
- JAC 12th arts result 2017 unlikely to be declared today, report
- Alvaro Morata's agent reveals a 'very important offer' from Manchester United
- European Union court says bridge is a sport, should be tax-exempt in Britain
- BSEB Bihar Board Class 10 Results 2017 to be declared shortly
- The mysterious case of Gujarat government schoolbags having Akhilesh Yadav pictures
- Sanders says congressional shooter volunteered for his campaign