But after Comey testified to Congress last week about what he said were Trump's attempts to get Comey to publicly exonerate him, Kasowitz maintained that Trump "was not under investigation as part of any probe into Russian interference".
The president's personal friend, Newsmax CEO Chris Ruddy said late Monday that Trump was considering terminating Mueller.
Comey had previously assured Trump he was not under investigation.
The leaders of the Senate Intelligence committee said in a statement issued Wednesday that they "look forward to future engagements" with Robert Mueller. He declined to comment further on the substance of the Post's story.
According to officials, investigators are also checking to see if there is any evidence that Trump associates committed any financial crimes.
Frank Buckley interviews Congressman Adam Schiff
Rosenstein said that Attorney General Jeff Sessions "actually does not know what we're investigating", and added: "Director Mueller is going to have the full independence he needs to conduct that investigation appropriately".
Mueller was on Capitol Hill Tuesday discussing the probe with Senate Intelligence Chairman Richard Burr of North Carolina and Virginia Sen. Mueller's office has now taken up that work, and the preliminary interviews scheduled with intelligence officials indicate his team is actively pursuing potential witnesses inside and outside the government. Both men refused to do so. That was something that Special Consul Mueller would have to examine, Comey had said.
She said Mr Trump was not able to watch much of Mr Sessions' testimony, but he thought Mr Sessions "did a very good job" and was especially "strong" on denying any collusion between Mr Trump's campaign and Russian Federation.
Several legal experts told Reuters that Mr Comey's testimony last week that Trump expected loyalty and told Comey he hoped he could drop an investigation of a former top aide could bolster obstruction of justice allegations against Mr Trump.
There's still an open question as to what, exactly, could happen if Mr Mueller does find the president violated the law in acting to disrupt an ongoing investigation.
Trump derails infrastructure speech to whine about Democrats obstructing his agenda
Details on the plan are scarce, as no actual piece of legislation has yet been drafted. "Your guess is as good as mine", she said. President Donald Trump says the United States must have the best, fastest and most reliable infrastructure in the world.
- Congressman Steve Scalise One Of 4 Shot in Alexandria, VA
- Ausdal Financial Partners Inc. Holds Position in Eli Lilly and Company (LLY)
- Special counsel Robert Mueller investigating Trump for obstruction of justice
- President Trump makes hospital visit after congressional baseball shooting
- House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, aides shot near baseball field in Virginia
- Kylie Jenner and Boyfriend Travis Scott Get Matching Tattoos See the Pics!
- Barclays PLC Trims BT Group plc (BT) Target Price to GBX 450
- National Oilwell Varco, Inc. (NOV) To Go Ex-Dividend on June 14th
- Korea says it freed US student over humanitarian reasons
- Mozilla Releases Multi-Process Firefox Upgrade