Rep. Steve Scalise of Louisiana, was shot by a rifle-wielding gunman at a congressional baseball practice in Alexandria, Virginia, just outside of Washington. Rep. Scalise, a lifelong fan of baseball, had been playing second base when he was shot.
Rep. Brad Wenstrup (R-OH), a physician, tells CBS Reporter Steven Portnoy, he treated Scalise at the scene... that Scalise was "conscious and okay".
Further, Mr. Hodgkinson who was shot and killed by police during the rampage, had been at the YMCA early Wednesday before he went to the ball-field where he carried out the attack.
President Trump responded to the attack, saying that he and Vice President Pence are "deeply saddened by this tragedy". "He is grateful for the courageous actions of U.S. Capitol Police, first responders, and colleagues", his office said in a previous statement at 2:30 p.m. EST.
Trump praised Scalise as "a patriot" and "a fighter" and said Scalise has the prayers of the "entire nation" behind him.
An additional two individuals - a congressman and a Capitol Police officer - attained secondary injuries. "Our hearts are with them & their loved ones".
Trump under investigation for obstruction of justice
It is not clear whether the White House could use executive privilege to try to block them from speaking to the investigators. Comey's removal will provide us the opportunity to do that on a cooperative, bipartisan basis", the letter concludes.
"Praying for the safety of all of my colleagues who were at baseball practice this morning". Praying for them and their families. Authorities, meanwhile, have not yet said whether there was a motive behind the shooting.
Emergency security measures were immediately put into place around the Capitol building after the shooting.
"Congressional votes cancelled for today".
Brad Wenstrup described caring for Minority Whip Steve Scalise's gunshot wound as like being 'back in Iraq, ' only without his weapon. "Still waiting for more details".
- Special counsel investigating Trump for possible obstruction
- What Are Analysts Report About TRI Pointe Group, Inc. (TPH)
- Lions name team to face Maori All Blacks
- Gradient Investments LLC Sells 118801 Shares of Coca-Cola Company (The) (KO)
- WaPo Report: Mueller Investigating Donald Trump for Possible Obstruction of Justice
- Minister offers condolences on bomb that killed 90 in Kabul
- May to talk with NI parties amid concerns over DUP deal
- USGA pledges no repeat of rules gaffe from last US Open
- Bacsinszky Bursts Into Second Roland Garros Semifinal
- May says Brexit talks to start as scheduled despite losing parliamentary majority