Jerry West, former Lakers legend, will leave his role as a special consultant for the Golden State Warriors and join the Los Angeles Clippers in a similar job, according to Sports Illustrated's Jack McCallum. "I've kind of been defiant my whole life".
In Golden State, West didn't have power over personnel decisions, but he had an influence throughout the organization.
For the Clippers, this is a huge step in the right direction, especially with Chris Paul and Blake Griffin being free agents this summer.
West spent the last six seasons with the Warriors, helping the team win two championships.
Man opens fire on Republican lawmakers, injures one before he is killed
Noah Nathan was walking his dogs near the baseball field just as a gunman opened fire in Alexandria , Virginia on Wednesday. Matt Mika, a lobbyist for Tyson Foods and former congressional staffer , was also identified as one of those shot.
The Clippers will become the fourth team with which West has been affiliated since the Lakers drafted him out of West Virginia University in 1960. Starting shooting guard J.J. Redick also becomes an unrestricted free agent. The team has won two titles and made three finals appearances in the last three years. West was also credited with a phone call to Kevin Durant a year ago that helped convince the prized free agent to leave Oklahoma City for Golden State.
West has been equally, if not more so, successful as an executive in his career than he was as a player. "Clutch" and later, The Logo, when the National Basketball Association symbol was modeled on him.
West was a Hall of Fame basketball player for the NBA Lakers (he is the logo, after all), and served as the GM of the Lakers for 20 years and Grizzlies for 10, winning Executive of the Year awards in 1985 and 2004. West has nothing more to prove, but if he can help guide the Clippers through what appears to be a very thorny path to their first championship, that might go down as his greatest accomplishment.
- E3 2017: What to expect on Monday? Great game reveals!
- Special counsel investigating Trump for possible obstruction
- Durant, Warriors help ABS-CBN win ratings battle for Tuesday
- WaPo Report: Mueller Investigating Donald Trump for Possible Obstruction of Justice
- Gradient Investments LLC Sells 118801 Shares of Coca-Cola Company (The) (KO)
- Congressional baseball team managers reflect on political discourse after Scalise shooting
- Trump under investigation for obstruction of justice
- Minister offers condolences on bomb that killed 90 in Kabul
- British Schoolchildren's Word of the Year Is 'Trump'
- Trump being probed for possible obstruction of justice