A person who lived near the ballpark and asked not to be identified said he estimated that at least 80 to 100 rounds of ammunition was sacked. "He is grateful for the fearless actions of U.S. Capitol Police, first responders, and colleagues". According to President Donald Trump, Hodgkinson died hours late from injuries sustained when Scalise's security team returned fire.
Trump called for national unity in the wake of the shooting, as did House Speaker Paul Ryan and Democratic House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the members of Congress, their staff, Capitol Police, first responders, and all others affected", he added.
Flake, a Republican from Arizona, didn't remember whether the gunman was saying anything, but he wasn't certain - in the exchange of bullets between police and Hodgkinson, there were moments when the senator didn't even know which gunfire was coming from which side.
Scalise, Capitol Police officers David Bailey and Crystal Griner, Matt Mika - a former congressional staffer who now works as a lobbyist for Tyson Foods - and Zachary Barth, a staffer for Rep. Roger Williams, were among the victims wounded in the shooting.
Trump did not name the gunman who has been identified as 66-year-old James Hodgkinson of IL.
La bande-annonce du remake de L'Experience Interdite avec Ellen Page — Flatliners
Ce groupe de cinq étudiants en médecine représente parfaitement la diversité des jeunes talents de leur génération. Il incarnait Nelson Wright en 1990 et c'est ce rôle qu'il reprend en 2017.
"I'm shaken up", says U.S. Congressman Jeff Duncan of SC, "my colleagues were targeted today by somebody who wanted to kill them".
Sanders told the Associated Press he was "sickened by this despicable act" and said Hodgkinson apparently volunteered on his campaign.
In the statement, he also said, "My thoughts and prayers are with those that were wounded in this morning's terrible attack".
Soon after, as shots continued to be fired, there were calls to set up a perimeter. All of us were on the field, either in line to bat or fielding balls.
Update 9:56 a.m. ET: Scalise's office released a statement after he was shot in the hip Wednesday morning.
A Republican congressman on the party's congressional baseball team fought back tears Wednesday as he reflected on his teammates' camaraderie in the face of horrific violence.
An aide for Wenstrup said he is unhurt, and that Wenstrup described the shooting as similar to "being in Iraq again, only without his weapon".
- Matt Jones' agent asks for his client to be released
- Suspect In Shooting Of GOP Congressmen Identified As James Hodgkinson
- Cotton suggests Comey set precedent of private meetings with Trump
- Basketball diplomacy in North Korea as U.S. student is released
- United States lawmaker, others in hospital after shooting at baseball practice
- Representative Steve King blames shooting on the 'left'
- Had creative differences with Kapil Sharma: Ali Asgar
- USA lawmakers show unity after shooting of colleague
- Trump makes surprise visit to hospital where Scalise is being treated
- The Gunman Who Attacked Republican Members of Congress Has Died