This evening all of that has changed as the Washington Post has just confirmed with multiple sources close to the investigation that special counsel Robert Mueller is officially investigating the President for obstruction of justice, in addition to his investigation into Russia's collusion with the Trump campaign. Trump had wanted Comey to disclose publicly that he was not personally under investigation, but the FBI director refused to do so. "I think we'll be in communication personally with him on any aspects that might bleed over from one to the other".
"The FBI leak of information regarding the President is outrageous, inexcusable and illegal", a spokesman for Mr Trump's legal team, Mark Corallo, said.
But behind the scenes, the president soon began entertaining the idea of firing Mr. Mueller even as his staff tried to discourage him from something they believed would turn a bad situation into a catastrophe, according to several people with direct knowledge of Mr. Trump's interactions.
Mueller spokesman Peter Carr told NPR's Carrie Johnson, "We'll decline to comment".
Claims for US jobless benefits fall by 8000, to 237000
The Labor Department said Thursday that claims for jobless benefits last week dropped by 8,000, to a seasonally adjusted 237,000. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast first-time applications for jobless benefits falling to 242,000 in the latest week.
A day or two after the March 22 meeting, Trump telephoned Coats and Rogers to separately ask them to issue public statements denying the existence of any evidence of coordination between his campaign and the Russian government.
Deputy Press Secretary Sarah Sanders spoke with reporters not long after the hearing and said the president was able to watch parts of it.
In a letter to Comey informing him of his termination, Trump wrote that he was acting on the recommendation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, but days later expressed that the decision was his own and that he was thinking about the Russian Federation investigation when it was made. "I will defend the integrity of that investigation". He added that fundraising records show some of the lawyers whom Mueller selected for his team have contributed to Democrats. Any findings by the department's investigation would be referred to Congress, where lawmakers would determine whether to impeach the president. When the briefing ended, as The Washington Post previously reported, Trump asked everyone to leave the room except for Coats and CIA Director Mike Pompeo.
- Senate Passes Russia Sanctions Amendment
- Kylie Jenner and Boyfriend Travis Scott Get Matching Tattoos See the Pics!
- Freed US student 'brutalised' by North Korea captors - father
- Two Malaysian Air Force Pilots Die After Jet Goes Missing
- Marvell Technology Group Ltd. (MRVL) Shares Sold by Dialectic Capital Management LP
- National Oilwell Varco, Inc. (NOV) To Go Ex-Dividend on June 14th
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes
- Warriors have 'no doubt' Kerr will coach next season
- US Congressman Steve Scalise shot at baseball practice in Virginia
- Trump derails infrastructure speech to whine about Democrats obstructing his agenda