After a nauseating round of soft-ball questions and a failure to hold Attorney General Jeff Sessions accountable, many breathed a sigh of relief to see Senator Kamala Harris preparing to launch her own set of questions at the man under oath. A black woman can't question a white attorney general?
While delivering a steady stream of questions to Sessions about the Trump administration colluding with Russia, Harris was instructed by McCain - who can be heard off camera - to let Sessions answer the question.
"And I'm not to be able to be rushed this fast". Kamala Harris (D-CA) were each left smirking after Sessions and his fellow Republicans successfully derailed her simple yes-no questions about executive privilege.
"If I don't qualify, it you'll accuse me of lying so I need to be correct as best as I can". This is a standard game: senators get only a short time for questioning, so witnesses often meander as a way of chewing up time and running out the clock.
"Sir, I'm not asking about the principle", Harris said.
While pressing Sessions on his campaign-era interactions with Russian officials, Harris attempted to hurry the exchange along to preserve her limited questioning time.
Comey's friend says he's turning over Comey's Trump memos to FBI
Trump cited that, as his outside lawyer has as well, as evidence that there was no collusion or obstruction in his administration. Trump also saluted the United States' relationship with Romania and praised its contribution to the global fight against terror.
"If any brief interaction occurred in passing with the Russian ambassador during that reception, I do not remember it", Sessions said.
"Is that policy in writing somewhere?" she asked.
SESSIONS: We talked about it. Richard Burr, the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, subsequently turned the floor over to the attorney general, who went on to say that he had consulted with senior Justice Department staff prior to his testimony about what he called a "longstanding policy" regarding communications with the president.
"It was a simple question", she wrote.
Harris cut in, saying, "Did you ask that it would be shown to you?"
- North Korea releases jailed US student, Otto Warmbier
- Are Analysts Bullish Card Factory PLC (LON:CARD) After Last Week?
- Key takeaways from the Jeff Sessions Senate hearing
- South Korean military: Suspected DPRK drone spies on THAAD site
- Sony announces over 60 million PS4 sales worldwide [Video inclusive]
- Deliberations resume in police officer's manslaughter trial
- Jeff Sessions to face questioning over Russian Federation contacts
- United Kingdom election shock could delay and soften Brexit
- Brazil's electoral court keeps Temer in office
- What Sony got right and wrong at E3