- The Minnesota Twins picked a high school shortstop for the first overall pick in the Major League Baseball draft. Was standout on USA Baseball's gold medal-winning Under-18 team at Pan American Championships past year.
Weeks before the draft, a report emerged suggesting the Twins would not take flame-throwing high school pitcher Hunter Greene with the No. 1 overall pick. The Twins, with the first pick, have more bonus pool money than any other team. At the plate, he hit.324 with 6 home runs, 28 RBI, 6 doubles, 2 triples, 23 runs scored, a.374 on-base percentage and a.598 slugging percentage.
Toronto also had a second-round pick Monday night, choosing high school catcher Hagen Danner 61st overall.
"We do not see prospects like this very often", said Dick Williams, President of Baseball Operations, General Manager.
"I feel like I haven't grown into my man strength yet", Lewis said in describing himself to reporters on a conference call, "but you use speed for everything: defensively, offensively, and it helps with range".
Lewis had a request: He'd found a picture of himself, Greene and Kentucky high schooler Jordon Adell and thought it'd be cool for the three friends and high-level draft prospects to sign copies of it and each keep one. Or maybe Brendan McKay, Louisville's two-way player?
Jury begins deliberating charges brought against officer who fatally shot Philando Castile
Castile responded, "I was reaching", but before he finished, Yanez, with right hand on his holster, said, "Don't pull it out". Yanez shot the 32-year-old school cafeteria worker seconds after Castile informed him he had a gun during a traffic stop.
McKay was drafted 4th overall by the Tampa Bay Rays. He's also 10-3 with a 2.34 ERA and 140 strikeouts in 104 innings on the mound. "But even then, we knew he what he was going to be and how special he was going to become". Things move much quicker today with little down time between picks, and the eight rounds today should take somewhere around five hours based on the past. "We still haven't talked about it but I'm excited to be with this ball club and whatever they have in mind for me, I'm excited to do".
Falvey said Minnesota's choice came down to the waning minutes, and the decision to pass on Greene was "really tough".
With the fifth pick, the Atlanta Braves chose Vanderbilt right-hander Kyle Wright. New Mexico high school lefty Trevor Rogers got chosen 13th by Miami.
In a touching moment that drew a standing ovation from the former major leaguers serving as team representatives, 11-year-old Yankees fan Landis Sims - born without hands or feet - announced his favorite team's first-round selection: SC right-hander Clarke Schmidt at No. 16 overall. North Carolina State shortstop Joseph Dunand, nephew of Alex Rodriguez, was selected as a third baseman by the Marlins at No. 51. That interval shrinks to zero on Wednesday, with no time in between picks for rounds 11-40 on the draft's final day.
Hall has been part of Canada's junior national team program for more than three years and has played at the U18 baseball World Cup.
- Nashville Predators Fan Curses Out NBC Analyst After Stanley Cup Loss
- Matthews keeps green jersey in Swiss tour
- Le Lot-et-Garonne placé en vigilance jaune aux orages — Météo
- Rihanna's obsession with LeBron James takes weird Lion King turn
- Duterte skips Independence Day rites at Luneta
- Trump believes climate is changing, says Nikki Haley
- Where things stand and what comes next — Travel ban
- Kevin Durant's move to Golden State rewarded with MVP
- Brazil scores after 12 seconds, beats Australia 4-0
- Trump weighs firing Mueller, according to confidante