The number of Britons who became German citizens leapt 361 percent in 2016, the Federal Statistics Office said on Tuesday, with many concerned that the vote will make it more hard for them to live and work in the European Union in future.
Top EU and British figures held "talks about talks" on Brexit Monday but failed to nail down a date for the start of negotiations amid the fallout from Britain's chaotic election, officials said. The sudden surge stems from a sobering reality for Brits who live elsewhere in Europe, or would like to someday: EU citizens can live and work anywhere within the union, and it isn't clear whether Brits will maintain this status in the future.
One of the main reasons behind the surge in Britons seeking the German citizenship could be the ease of working and doing business in the EU. Applications for Irish passports from mainland Britain are up 60% so far this year, following a 40% rise last year, to around 65,000 submissions. In all, 110,383 people were given German citizenship past year, a 2.9% increase.
On June 23, 2016, 51.9 percent of United Kingdom citizens voted in favor of leaving the European Union during a nationwide referendum.
Trump considering firing special counsel Robert Mueller — CEO of Newsmax
Ruddy never spoke with the president regarding this issue". "He is being advised by many people not to do it", the source said. Doubt, however, has been cast on that explanation because of cryptic testimony from former FBI Director James Comey last week.
The Federal Statistical Office said Tuesday that 2,865 Britons became German citizens in 2016. Another 6,632 Poles became Germans in 2016, an increase of 11.3%.
The post Britons seeking German citizenship increases as Brexit vote takes toll appeared first on Vanguard News.
Do you something awesome to share with the world?
Download the Nigeria Today app from Play store.
- 'Poldark' Season 3: One Mystery Partially Solved After Heida Reed Teased Who Fathered Elizabeth's Baby
- Sandy Hook families criticize Megyn Kelly for planned Alex Jones interview
- La DNCG attend des éléments complémentaires de Lille et Amiens
- E3 2017 : Microsoft dévoile Metro Exodus lors de sa conférence
- India thrash Proteas to enter Champions Trophy semis in style
- Sen. Collins: Tone, context of Trump-Comey conversations "so important"
- Dodgers reinstate Pederson, place Gonzalez on DL
- South Korea urges talks on joint football competition
- FDA delays rule requiring new nutrition facts panel on food
- Is James Comey Baiting Donald Trump into Making a Mistake?