The number of Britons who became German citizens leapt 361 percent in 2016, the Federal Statistics Office said on Tuesday, with many concerned that the vote will make it more hard for them to live and work in the European Union in future.
Top EU and British figures held "talks about talks" on Brexit Monday but failed to nail down a date for the start of negotiations amid the fallout from Britain's chaotic election, officials said. The sudden surge stems from a sobering reality for Brits who live elsewhere in Europe, or would like to someday: EU citizens can live and work anywhere within the union, and it isn't clear whether Brits will maintain this status in the future.
One of the main reasons behind the surge in Britons seeking the German citizenship could be the ease of working and doing business in the EU. Applications for Irish passports from mainland Britain are up 60% so far this year, following a 40% rise last year, to around 65,000 submissions. In all, 110,383 people were given German citizenship past year, a 2.9% increase.
On June 23, 2016, 51.9 percent of United Kingdom citizens voted in favor of leaving the European Union during a nationwide referendum.
Britain voted against May's majority in Parliament - but what about Brexit?
The EU negotiators will know that they are negotiating with someone who may not be able to give the final word. Mrs Merkel added she hoped Britain would remain a good partner following the talks, due to begin on 19 June .
The Federal Statistical Office said Tuesday that 2,865 Britons became German citizens in 2016. Another 6,632 Poles became Germans in 2016, an increase of 11.3%.
The post Britons seeking German citizenship increases as Brexit vote takes toll appeared first on Vanguard News.
Do you something awesome to share with the world?
Download the Nigeria Today app from Play store.
- Kevin Durant named unanimous 2017 Finals MVP
- Factors to Note Before Buying Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. (CLF)
- Sen. Collins: Tone, context of Trump-Comey conversations "so important"
- Golden State Warriors unanimously decline to visit White House, Donald Trump
- The Warriors Flash-Fried the National Basketball Association , and They're Just Getting Started
- 'Poldark' Season 3: One Mystery Partially Solved After Heida Reed Teased Who Fathered Elizabeth's Baby
- India thrash Proteas to enter Champions Trophy semis in style
- Mr. Met flipped off a fan during Wednesday's loss to Brewers
- FDA delays rule requiring new nutrition facts panel on food
- Apple issues $1 billion green bond after Trump's Paris climate exit