The number of Britons who became German citizens leapt 361 percent in 2016, the Federal Statistics Office said on Tuesday, with many concerned that the vote will make it more hard for them to live and work in the European Union in future.
Top EU and British figures held "talks about talks" on Brexit Monday but failed to nail down a date for the start of negotiations amid the fallout from Britain's chaotic election, officials said. The sudden surge stems from a sobering reality for Brits who live elsewhere in Europe, or would like to someday: EU citizens can live and work anywhere within the union, and it isn't clear whether Brits will maintain this status in the future.
One of the main reasons behind the surge in Britons seeking the German citizenship could be the ease of working and doing business in the EU. Applications for Irish passports from mainland Britain are up 60% so far this year, following a 40% rise last year, to around 65,000 submissions. In all, 110,383 people were given German citizenship past year, a 2.9% increase.
On June 23, 2016, 51.9 percent of United Kingdom citizens voted in favor of leaving the European Union during a nationwide referendum.
Golden State Warriors unanimously decline to visit White House, Donald Trump
In the end, Cleveland star LeBron James gives his Golden State counterpart Stephen Curry a congratulatory hug. Throughout the playoffs coach Steve Kerr encouraged his team to enjoy the ride, to "play with joy".
The Federal Statistical Office said Tuesday that 2,865 Britons became German citizens in 2016. Another 6,632 Poles became Germans in 2016, an increase of 11.3%.
The post Britons seeking German citizenship increases as Brexit vote takes toll appeared first on Vanguard News.
Do you something awesome to share with the world?
Download the Nigeria Today app from Play store.
- Mr. Met flipped off a fan during Wednesday's loss to Brewers
- Sandy Hook families criticize Megyn Kelly for planned Alex Jones interview
- US Congressman-elect sentenced for assault of reporter
- Apple issues $1 billion green bond after Trump's Paris climate exit
- Wisconsin business leaders to meet with Trump
- E3 2017 : Microsoft dévoile Metro Exodus lors de sa conférence
- Eagles rumors: Jason Peters wants a new deal
- Trump considering firing special counsel Robert Mueller — CEO of Newsmax
- Britain voted against May's majority in Parliament - but what about Brexit?
- Factors to Note Before Buying Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. (CLF)