Tributes have been paid to former International Cycling Union (UCI) President Hein Verbruggen, who has died at the age of 75.
The IOC, in a statement Wednesday, dubbed Verbruggen, who also headed the SportAccord Convention of worldwide sports federations from 2003 to 2013, "a cycling fanatic and a true sports fan".
The organisation has now moved back to its previous name of Global Association of International Sports Federations (GAISF), having previously been changed by Verbruggen in 2009.
"I'm sad to hear of the passing of Hein Verbruggen and offer my honest personal condolences to his family and friends", said UCI president Brian Cookson. "Our thoughts are with his family and friends".
A statement was also issued by the International Olympic Committee which praised the work he did for the organisation and his sport.
"Thanks to his great engagement and his management skills, he greatly contributed to the success of the Olympic Games Beijing 2008 as chair of the coordination commission. For this he will be always remembered", IOC President Thomas Bach said.
Watch over 20 minutes of Super Mario Odyssey, Nintendo's weirdest Mario yet
We do know Yoshi ™ will support simultaneous co-op for two players much like Yoshi's Woolly World , and is releasing in 2018. Kirby has always been a solid platformer, and this game looks like a combination of a lot of the best of the series.
It was also confirmed by the IOC that the Olympic Flag would be flown at half-mast at their headquarters as a mark of respect.
The Cycling Independent Reform Commission (CIRC), set up following allegations of corruption at the heart of the UCI, said the body "exempted Armstrong from rules, failed to target test him despite the suspicions, and publicly supported him against allegations of doping, even as late as 2012".
Verbruggen often confronted the scourge of doping, and was perceived as being too close to Lance Armstrong, the American rider who was the face of cycling with his seven Tour de France victories before he came embody the abuse of performance-enhancing drugs.
Verbruggen strongly rejected those findings, describing the report as "unfair, biased and incomplete in its methodology, in its substance and in its conclusions".
Verbruggen's time in charge of the UCI corresponded with a number of controversies.
- Megyn Kelly's Alex Jones Interview Will Still Air Despite Advertiser Backlash
- Latest Tally Of Analyst Opinions: Wells Fargo & Company (WFC), Pfizer Inc. (PFE)
- Dropped catch costs Sri Lanka semi-final spot
- Frk Yeah - Griffins Win Calder Cup Championship
- Lloris titulaire contre l'Angleterre mardi — Bleus
- Kim Kardashian teases beauty line at Forbes summit
- Travis Scott and Kylie Jenner Got Matching Butterfly Tattoos on Their Ankles
- CT 2017: Pakistan win toss, ask England to bat
- La Saône-et-Loire est en alerte orange — ORAGES
- Jeff Sessions denies secret meeting with Russians