China set up an office of commercial development in Panama in 1996.
Panama's decision leaves Taiwan with only 20 diplomatic allies in the world, 11 of them being in Latin America and the Caribbean.
REUTERS Greg Baker PoolChina Panama Officially Establish Diplomatic Ties
The two governments agree to develop friendly relations between the two countries on the basis of the principles of mutual respect for sovereignty and territorial integrity, mutual non-aggression, non-interference in each other's internal affairs, equality, mutual benefit and peaceful coexistence, the communique said.
"The Government of the Republic of Panama recognizes that only one China exists in the world, the Government of the People's Republic of China is the only legitimate Government that represents all China and Taiwan forms an inalienable part of Chinese territory", the statement read.
As recently as December, Panama's deputy foreign minister had said he did not expect any change in Panama's relations with Taiwan or China.
Monday's diplomatic move could also raise questions about the future of a Chinese-backed project to build another Central American waterway to rival the Panama Canal in Nicaragua.
California Congressman Moves to Impeach President Trump
Brad Sherman sent a letter to his legislative colleagues Monday announcing that he plans to force a floor vote on his measure. Other Republicans criticized the president but said his behavior did not reach the level of "high crimes and misdemeanors".
- The New iPad Pro: You can feel the Power!
- Woman DRAGGED along street by moped gang after refusing to let go of bag
- Houck drafted 24th overall in MLB Draft by Boston
- Cosby Defense Rests in Bill Cosby Sex Assault Case
- Extrait / Gameplay - God of War - Kratos envoie du bois à l'E3 2017 !
- Cosby's chief accuser denies romance before alleged assault
- Across the United States , marches and rallies in support of LGBT rights
- Puerto Rico Votes In Favor Of Becoming A State
- Justices side with Microsoft in Xbox 360 class action case
- Interior Secretary Zinke Proposes Shrinking Bears Ears Monument