An quake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.2 shook western Turkey and the Greek island of Lesbos on Monday, injuring several people and damaging buildings, authorities said.
One death was reported on the Greek island of Lesbos but no fatalities have been recorded in Turkey.
Turkey's Disaster and Emergency Management said the quake was in the Aegean Sea at a depth of more than four miles and hit at 15:28 local time. "But I would like to remind that we should be prepared all the while regarding this issue", he said.
A STRONG natural disaster has rocked the Greek island of Lesbos, damaging dozens of homes and roads at the Brit tourist hotspot.
"It's a hard situation, we are facing a disaster", Christiana Kalogirou, governor of the north Aegean region, told Greek state TV station ERT, adding: "Some 10 people are injured".
The EMSC logged more than a dozen aftershocks following the quake, none of them exceeding magnitude 5.
Refs clarify odd Draymond Green-Steve Kerr technical foul switcheroo
Last season it was the Cleveland Cavaliers who took the crown, digging out of a 3-1 Finals lead before claiming the throne. Unlike a year ago , the Warriors will head into Game 5, another potential closeout, with their gritty forward available.
This year alone, Turkey's western Aegean coast has been hit by several earthquakes of up to 5.5 magnitude, which brought back memories of past deadly earthquakes.
The governor of Greece's north Aegean region told state-run ERT television that "we're using all the resources we have to help the people in southern Lesbos".
So far, there are no reports of any casualties. "I thought to myself that this time we were going to die".
Several buildings in the town were damaged, the mayor said.
Haluk Ozener, head of Turkey's Kandilli observatory in Istanbul told the BBC: "We will be seeing the aftershocks of this in the coming hours, days and weeks".
At least 10 people in the Vrisa on the island of Lesbo were hurt in the quake after old homes collapsed. In 1999, two massive earthquakes killed about 20,000 people in the densely populated northwest. There were no immediate reports of injuries.
- Days Gone Details Released At E3 2017; Includes Gameplay Trailer
- Mattis Calls Out China's 'Contempt' For Nations' 'Interests'
- DUP leader says talks with Britain's Conservatives 'positive'
- The Deutsche Post AG (DPW) PT Set at €36.00 by Warburg Research
- Smith slams Australia's bowling performance after draw
- Cavaliers season ends with Game 5 loss to Warriors
- Warriors fans celebrate NBA title with rowdy street party
- May could be forced into Unionist deal
- Qatar finance minister dismisses concerns of food shortages
- Aviva plc (AV) Given Consensus Rating of "Hold" by Analysts