According to James Comey, President Donald Trump was pressuring him to stop the inquiry into friend and former national security advisor General Michael Flynn, by saying he "hoped" the FBI would drop the investigation.
Comey also said he asked a friend to share with the media the contents of memos he had written about his conversations with Trump, saying he thought the move would lead to the naming of a special counsel to investigate Russia's interference in the USA presidential election.
But Donald Trump refused to say whether his private conversations with the fired FBI Director were taped - an issue at the centre of conflicting accounts of what passed between them.
Trump has remained relatively media shy since the Justice Department tapped former FBI Director Robert Mueller to be the special counsel looking into Russia's meddling into the 2016 election and the Trump campaign's possible ties to it.
At a joint press conference with Romanian President Klaus Iohannis, Trump reiterated that he felt vindicated by Comey's testimony before a Senate committee yesterday but also said that Comey lied in characterizing conversations between the two.
"No collusion. No obstruction", Trump said Friday.
"Lordy, I hope there are tapes", Comey told the panel Thursday, emphasizing his belief that the president asked him to shut down the investigation.
Iranian security forces kill mastermind of Tehran terror attacks
Abbasi said the attacks were unprecedented since the killing of Iranian lawmakers in 1980s. It was not clear when the five men returned to Iran.
Legal experts questioned whether Mr Trump's private encounters with Mr Comey could be considered privileged.
Mr Trump wouldn't rule out a previous claim that there may be tapes of his conversations with Comey.
Under oath, Comey repeatedly called Trump a liar.
"I hardly know [Comey]".
What it all comes down to is this: "If you're a Republican in some cases, every new piece of information you say, 'Well it's not real, it's not true, '" he continued.
While Mr Trump's staunchest supporters have tried to paint Mr Comey's testimony as vindication for the president, few Republicans who do not work for Trump have stepped in to defend the president's version of his contacts with the former Federal Bureau of Investigation chief.
"Well, I will tell you about that, sometime in the very near future", Trump sidestepped when a reporter directly asked him during a Rose Garden news conference whether the tapes actually exist.
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions to Testify Publicly on Tuesday
- Across the United States , marches and rallies in support of LGBT rights
- Draymond Green Says Clevelanders "Don't Seem To Be The Sharpest People Around"
- Qatar Airways profits up 22 per cent
- Extrait / Gameplay - God of War - Kratos envoie du bois à l'E3 2017 !
- Qatar opens channels with Oman ports
- Cosby's chief accuser denies romance before alleged assault
- Résultats législatives: déroute pour les anciens ministres de François Hollande
- Abstention record et Emmanuel Macron en marche vers la majorité absolue — Législatives
- Monster Hunter World annoncé sur PS4 durant la conférence de Sony