A measure of melodic phrasing.
Gorsuch read a portion of the opinion from the bench.
Gorsuch used the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act's text in his opinion on the case, which found that Santander Consumer USA is not a debt collector because it bought a $3.5 billion portfolio of auto loan debts that CitiFinancial hired it to collect, The Hill reports.
Writing for the court, Gorsuch said Santander didn't qualify as a debt collector under the law because it had bought the defaulted loans from another lender.
Montana's Gianforte avoids jail time for reporter assault
Greg Gianforte (R-MT) will likely avoid jail time after assaulting a reporter the night before his election this May. Gianforte is scheduled to appear Monday morning before Justice of the Peace Rick West.
The high court's newest member concluded that debt collector laws may change in the future but not the role of the judiciary in analyzing them.
"Disruptive dinnertime calls, downright deceit, and more besides drew Congress's eye to the debt collection industry", he wrote.
Free webinar: Register now to learn how the State Department, FCC, CIA, EPA and GSA are implementing their cloud strategies.
CitiFinancial argued if Congress had been aware of defaulted debt purchasers like Santander, it would have treated them like traditional debt collectors because they pose similar risks of abusive collection practices.
Rules that apply to debt collectors do not extend to companies that purchase debts, according to the unanimous Supreme Court ruling.
- Kathy Griffin Blames the Trumps for Career Downfall
- Majority of Tory members want Theresa May to quit
- Cosby's lawyers try to paint accuser as opportunist
- Elections législatives en métropole : sont qualifiés pour le 2e tour
- Sky suffer record drop in viewers for Prem games
- Sara Khan to star opposite Sushant
- Fairmount Santrol Holdings Inc (FMSA) Stock Rating Lowered by ValuEngine
- Apple Reveals New iMac Pro with Upgraded MacBook and iMac
- The Next Xbox Is the Xbox One X
- Led by Islamists, thousands of Moroccans rally in support of northern protests