"Beyond that as the central government, I have nothing to say", Jaitley told reporters when asked if the Centre will help states on the issue of farm loan waivers.
The banks had reported a net loss of 179.93 billion rupees in the year which ended in March 2016, compared with a net profit of 378.23 billion rupees the previous financial year, according to government data.
As for the recovery of bad loans, the RBI has also made substantial changes in the related norms and warned banks of monetary penalty for missing NPA resolution timelines.
"The Ordiance has three components - one of the component has to enhance the size and scope of the over-sight committee. the identification of such accounts (NPAs) which can be suitably taken up under the Process and an internal advisory committee is formed by the RBI, information has been collected from the banks on certain large accounts and if some additional information are required, they are being collected".
Jaitley further said there are already about 81 cases filed under the IBC and 18 cases out of these have been initiated by financial creditors.
Tory alliance with DUP puts Good Friday deal 'at risk'
The dispute has prompted renewed calls for an independent mediator from outside the United Kingdom and Ireland to be appointed. If no executive is formed, James Brokenshire has warned that Northern Ireland may face direct rule .
Besides, the minister will review the financial performance of all the public sector banks (PSBs) at the meeting, the first between Jaitley and them in the current fiscal.
"These are already before the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) and since a bulk of the NPAs, about 70 per cent, are either in consortium or in multiple banking arrangement, the speedy resolution is required".
The minister hinted that a solution is coming very soon.
"Challenge with regard to credit growth was discussed and resolution also came up for consideration".
"I can tell you we are actively working in that direction", Jaitley said on Monday, declining to give details in what he said would be stock price-sensitive information. While, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana have also demanded for waiving farm loans.
Toxic loans of PSBs rose by over Rs 1 lakh crore to Rs 6.06 lakh crore during April-December 2016-17.
- Triumph Street Triple S launched in India at INR 8.5 lakh
- Maryland, DC attorneys general plan lawsuit against Trump
- Manhattan Associates, Inc. (MANH) Downgraded by Zacks Investment Research
- Cavaliers, Warriors will get physical as NBA Finals tension boils
- Samsung Galaxy C9 Pro price slashed by Rs 5000
- Le bouleversement du paysage politique français est en marche — Élections législatives
- Kane scores late in England's 2-2 draw vs Scotland
- The Go-Ahead Group plc (GOG) Downgraded by JPMorgan Chase & Co
- Vers une abstention record — Législatives
- Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo still dancing for joy