A Grab driver was remanded for six days over an alleged rape of a female passenger near the victim's house in Bandar Putra Permai, Seri Kembangan, Serdang, around 4am yesterday.
In a statement, Grab Malaysia country head Sean Goh said the news was "deeply distressing".
Serdang Police chief ACP Megat Mohamad Aminuddin Megat Alias said the 30-year-old man was picked up at 10pm yesterday in Sungai Buloh in a police operation by a team from the Serious Crimes Division of the Serdang Police headquarters.
The report said the 30-year-old suspect had allegedly raped the victim who was said to have been in a state of drunkenness about 4am in his auto.
According to Grab, it has supported its driver-partner's app with a PDRM "panic button"' for drivers to immediately contact the police in case of emergency and are now expediting plans to extend this feature to the Grab passenger app as well.
Grab Malaysia said it regrets the incident of one of its driver accused of raping his passenger.
Le siège social d'Hydro-Québec portera le nom de Jean Lesage
Monsieur Lévesque a également une présence dans l'édifice, comme vous le savez, et également dans la mémoire des Québécois. Jean Lesage a inauguré le siège social d'Hydro-Québec le 8 juin 1962.
Bernama reported earlier today that police had arrested the suspect in Sungei Buloh at about 10pm and had seized his vehicle and clothes for further examination.
This case comes just weeks after a pregnant woman said she was robbed at knife-point by a driver from rival ride-hailing company Uber on May 21. She said that the suspect then sent her home.
This was the latest of several incidents involving private hire auto services in Malaysia in recent weeks.
On May 21, a pregnant woman suffered a miscarriage after she was allegedly robbed by the Uber e-hailing services driver and his accomplice when she boarded his auto from Kuala Lumpur to her home in Puchong. A search for the suspect's accomplice continues. She too, was later also arrested after she, together with her husband and several other men, assaulted the driver.
That same month, an Uber driver was arrested for allegedly molesting a Vietnamese woman.
- Search resumes in South Carolina for missing Ohio teen
- 5 takeaways from the Tonys, including leave Bette Midler alone
- Pogba: Extreme Mourinho deserves to be called The Special One
- Roman Polanski's victim pleads to end case: 'He owes me nothing'
- Scores gather outside Pulse to honor massacre victims
- "Dear Evan Hansen", Bette Midler, "Oslo" win big at Broadway's Tony Awards
- Plans for a hard Brexit have not changed, says UK
- DUP agrees deal to support Conservative government
- Michel Hazanavicius présidera le festival de Deauville en septembre
- Derby make £1m bid for Liverpool's Andre Wisdom