Apple is putting a stop to app developers from endlessly spamming their users with review requests. The modifications to the App Store was first noticed by 9to5Mac. Devs can now instead supplement their app name with a subtitle to give more explanation of the app. Apple has tightened control over the rating system too, forcing developers to use Apple's API to get ratings.
Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) has new App Store policy updates that move any voluntary in-app tipping to the category of formal in-app purchase and Apple can take its 30% cut.
Writing on Medium, Johnny Lin highlights a number of (seemingly now removed) apps which are free to download, but hit you with high weekly subscription fees, in one case charging as much as $99.99 (around £80/AU$130) every 7 days. Worse, some of them are rising high in the App Store rankings, as a new report details. A user can only receive the prompt three times per year.
Apple has released a new revenue stream that could unleash a new community of digital content creators, which is already thriving in China.
Warner: 'Unthinkable' if Trump pressured Comey to end FBI's investigation
Unfortunately, one thing may come between Comey's truth and the public's ears - President Donald Trump . Trump abruptly fired Comey on May 9 as Comey was leading that investigation.
Users will also be able to opt out of receiving pop-ups entirely.
Earlier in order to rate some app users were forced to leave the app and visit App store for rating the app which was time-consuming and inconvenient.
In response to the new policy, Chinese companies behind popular apps such as Jinri Toutiao, Zhihu and Yingke have all changed the way customers tip through the latest versions of their Apps.
- Canadian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton cruises to sixth win in Montreal
- United Kingdom voters take to polls in general election
- Ryan Blaney holds off Kevin Harvick to take first Cup victory
- 3 women found dead at Ohio home
- Un ancien joueur décède dans un accident de voiture — Angers SCO
- Search resumes in South Carolina for missing Ohio teen
- 10 updates you might have missed at WWDC 2017
- Iran arrests dozens of Islamic State 'agents' following Tehran attacks
- Xbox One X 4K UHD Blu-ray: HDR10, Yes; Dolby Vision, No
- E3 2017 : A Way Out, le coop made in EA