On Friday, just more than 24 hours after former FBI Director James Comey testified before the Senate Intelligence Committee, President Donald Trump appeared outside the White House to address reporters.
Trump's feelings on NATO in recent months have been tepid, and he has demanded that all member nations pay the 2 percent of their GDP required by the treaty.
Appearing with Romanian President Klaus Iohannis on Friday, Trump also reiterated his call for North Atlantic Treaty Organisation members to meet the guideline - along with his claim that North Atlantic Treaty Organisation members should repay what he regards as underpayments from previous years.
The question was prompted after Comey said Thursday during his testimony that he feared the president "might lie" about the nature of his conversations with Trump.
Saudi Arabia, UAE welcome Donald Trump's warning to Qatar
Qatar hosts roughly 10,000 USA troops and serves as a major staging base for the US military's Mideast operations. Qatar acknowledges its links to these groups but denies that it supports terrorism.
"It's a good thing that President Trump made explicit what he plainly meant in Brussels last month: the United States stands by the collective security guarantee of NATO Article 5", Cotton said in a statement.
"But make no mistake: uttering magic words does not deter aggressors like [Russian President] Vladimir Putin".
Administration officials debated the precise language Trump should use in reaffirming the USA commitment to the alliance, only to have Trump strike the final language, Politico reported.
Trump praised Iohannis for boosting his country's defense spending.
"The money is starting to pour in", Trump said, suggesting that the new defense spending by Romania was being paid into the alliance, rather than being spent internally.
- US senators slam Egypt's NGO law as 'draconian'
- WONDER WOMAN Sequel Update from Patty Jenkins
- Two of the Three London Suspects Identified
- Does iMac Pro Mean the End for Mac Pro?
- Manchester United close to sealing Morata transfer
- Rafael Nadal rejoint Stan Wawrinka en finale — Roland-Garros
- House Intelligence Committee requests Comey's Trump meeting notes, White House tapes
- Here Are Some Of The New Features In iOS 11
- Unseeded Ostapenko tops Halep at French Open for 1st title
- Donald Trump says James Comey lying, willing to testify under oath