Gatland's forwards were dominant but the Lions backs were outplayed by the Blues, the worst performing of New Zealand's five Super Rugby teams this season.
Fielding a completely different 15, Gatland's men conceded the contest's opening try within six minutes when Rieko Ioane surged past Jack Nowell.
"It felt like there were lots of positives about today, some of our set piece stuff was good".
But a brilliant late try from Ihaia West secured victory for the Auckland side, the replacement fly-half latched onto Sonny Bill Williams's superb offload to scorch under the posts from halfway.
"The medics think he'll be fine during the week and should be OK", said Gatland. So we definitely need to tighten up in that area and be hard on ourselves.
True to form, the Lions used their brawn to get back in the hunt via Stander, before the bruising Williams scored a lucky try on the half-time hooter.
Warship USS Gabrielle Giffords commissioned in Texas
Biden, who also spoke at the ship's christening in 2015, said the navy "chose wisely" in naming the combat ship after Giffords. The Navy expects to receive a total of 26 LCS ships, which come in two versions, the Independence class and Freedom class.
It proved to be a hard test against the Super Rugby side, with the hosts taking the lead through a Rieko Ioane try on seven minutes.
"We have improved from the opening game with the time we have spent together and we will improve again before Saturday".
"We've been concentrated on ourselves and we haven't anxious about too much externally".
CJ Stander touched down to level the scores and Leigh Halfpenny made no mistake with the conversion to put the Lions ahead.
The start wasn't auspicious, as the Blues settled the quicker and took the lead through an unconverted try from the hugely impressive Ioane, but the Lions were quick to force their way back into the game.
West kicked the Blues further ahead after the interval before the Lions rallied, despite losing Liam Williams to the sin bin, two Halfpenny penalties giving them a slender lead.
11 players will earn their first cap for the British and Irish Lions when they play the Blues.
- Congressmen seeking any tape recordings of Comey with Trump
- Donald Trump slams James Comey after accusations on lying
- Third London Bridge Terror Attacker Named As Moroccan-Italian Youssef Zaghba
- Cavaliers get off to quick start in Game 4
- Amanda Bynes Is Three-Years Sober, Plans Return To TV
- Batman star Adam West dead at 88
- Une majorité de Français pour la démission de Ferrand et de Sarnez
- Ghani Calls For Joint Efforts Against Terrorism At Shanghai Summi
- Luke Bryan opening Game 6 broadcast from honky-tonk roof
- Many in GOP unshaken by Comey's testimony against Trump