"Nasa has never named a spacecraft after a researcher during their lifetime", said Thomas Zurbuchen, the head of Nasa's science mission directorate.
This could improve forecasts of space weather events, which can shake the earth's magnetic field and impact satellite communications, astronaut safety, power grids, and radiation on flights.
An artist's impression of the solar probe spacecraft approaching the Sun.
Hanging in There - Theresa May Stays UK PM, For Now
But some senior figures in Conservative Party were adamant May should stay on as prime minister, at least for the time being. The Labour Party gained 32 seats, jumping from 229 to 261, setting back May and the Conservative Party.
The Parker Solar Probe will examine a phenomenon known as a solar wind, which Parker first pointed out in 1958.
Solar Probe Plus will be sent into the sun's atmosphere with a suite of instruments created to gather data that will help researchers better understand the solar corona - a blanket of hot gases that extends millions of kilometres into the solar system.
Travelling at a speed of 430,000 miles per hour, the probe will make seven flybys of the sun over a seven-year period, in what NASA describes as a "mission of extremes". This the first ever spacecraft which will face the extreme heat and radiation coming directly from the sun.
Solar winds are streams generated in the sun's outer layer and are always directed away from its surface. I am sure that there will be some surprises. It will use Venus flybys over the course of seven years and 24 orbits for gravitational assists to get closer and closer to the sun. The space agency believes that the data that is collected after the probe will help astronomers predict solar storms and also hopes that the answer to many mysteries surrounding our source of light and heat may be solved.
"Parker Solar Probe is going to answer questions about solar physics that we've puzzled over for more than six decades", said Parker Solar Probe Project Scientist Nicola Fox of the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory.
- FTSE slips further from record, mid caps hit two-week low
- Microsoft adding OneDrive support to Apple's iOS 11 Files app
- UAE threatens Qatar sympathisers with jail
- NBP president writes to SC over alleged mistreatment by JIT members
- Kansas lawmakers closer on schools, face more talks on taxes
- Iran attackers fought for Islamic State in Syria, Iraq - ministry
- Now, gay player Hogenkamp calls for renaming of Maragaret Court arena
- Apple's HomePod Cranks Up the Price
- Supreme Court Regulated SEC to the Satisfaction of Wall Street Firms
- Apple readying Siri Speaker to take on Echo, Google Home