Dimanche, 23 Février 2020
Dernières nouvelles
Principale » Hezbollah condemns Iran terror attack as death toll rises to 16

Hezbollah condemns Iran terror attack as death toll rises to 16

10 Juin 2017

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah, Head of the High Peace Council Mohammad Karim Khalili and former president Hamid Karzai also expressed their deep grief over the deadly attacks, commiserating with the families of the victims.

Authorities have raised the death toll in a pair of Islamic State-claimed attacks on Iran's parliament and the tomb of its revolutionary leader to 16 people killed. "He went to the third floor where the hostage takers had dozens hostages and he started shooting at one of the terrorists who was a tall, broad-shouldered [man] dressed in black and gunned him down".

The standoff lasted around five hours before all the attackers holed up in parliamentary office buildings were killed.

The attack appears to be inflaming the enmity between the countries. A woman suspected to be involved in the attack was arrested Wednesday.

These were the first attacks in Iran claimed by IS, which has threatened to step up its campaign in the country in recent months.

Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee, the committee's Republican chairman and one of the bill's sponsors, said he recently reviewed top-secret intelligence that detailed Tehran's support for terrorism and other destabilizing actions.

Iranian state TV said the Intelligence Ministry had detained 41 suspects in Tehran and the western Kurdish provinces of the country.

The violence began in midmorning when assailants with Kalashnikov rifles and explosives stormed the parliament complex where a legislative session had been in progress. One of the attackers reportedly blew himself up inside as police surrounded the building.

Several attackers raided the shrine of the late founder of the Islamic Republic, Imam Khomeini, South of the capital Tehran.

Iran attacks 'reinforce hatred' for US, Saudi: leader
The latest reports indicate that all four terrorists who took part in the siege of the parliament building have been killed. Despite these remarks, Iranian backed forces are fighting alongside the US-led coalition against Daesh in Iraq.

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the terrorist attacks.

Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei underlined on Wednesday that Iran will keep moving forward and the terrorist attacks will only result in stronger determination among Iranian nation. During his first official foreign tripto Saudi Arabia, US President Donald Trump described Iran as a preeminent state sponsor of terrorism.

"Last year, they returned to Iran.to carry out terrorist attacks in the holy cities of Iran", the ministry added in a statement on state news agency IRNA.

"This terrorist attack happened only a week after the meeting between the USA president (Donald Trump) and the (Saudi) backward leaders who support terrorists".

Iranians angered by the statement took to social media to vent, recalling sympathetic vigils held in Tehran after the September 11 terrorist attacks.

Mohammad Javad Zarif called the comments "repugnant" and accused the USA of supporting terror.

Larijani also criticized a Wednesday decision by the U.S. Senate to move forward on a new set of sanctions against Iran, including its elite Revolutionary Guards, a move that came on the same day as the Tehran attacks.

Other members of the public accused Saudi Arabia and Iran's long-time foe, the United States, of backing the attacks.