Stan Wawrinka beat top-ranked Andy Murray 6-7 (6), 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 (3), 6-1 to reach the French Open final.
Wawrinka took it to level the semi-final after four hours, another laser forehand speeding past Murray.
However, Wawrinka quickly hit back, breaking first again for 4-3 in the second set and again in the ninth game to level the semi-final, running around a second serve to bury a forehand victor.
The third seed then moved up a gear as Murray looked to have run out of gas, storming into a 5-0 lead.
"Physically I didn't feel my best at the end", said Murray.
"I was hesitant in trying to finish the first and third sets but I felt like I could retake control".
United Kingdom votes for hung parliament; Brexit uncertainties ahead
Much will depend on the wishes of the Democratic Unionist Party MPs from Northern Ireland, who would be her most likely allies. In one of many striking moments, the party lost the seat of Canterbury for the first time in a century.
Though Murray started well, clinching a tight first set in the tie-breaker, Wawrinka, a two-time champions here, hit back in the second. Murray broke Wawrinka's serve in the sixth game, but it was too little, too late as the Swiss went onto break serve in the final game for the win.
Defeat at the hands of Wawrinka has prolonged Murray's search for his maiden title.
"A lot of the points he was dictating from the middle of the court, and I was retrieving and allowing him to pretty much hit the shots that he wants".
It will be the first all-American final since 1980 at Roland Garros.
Top-ranked Andy Murray has won the opening set against third-seeded Stan Wawrinka 7-6 (6) in the French Open semifinals. Five wins and 18 hours on the match court should prove excellent preparation for Wimbledon.
The first men's semifinal match at the French Open is underway.
An astonishing triple break took him to 5-0 and although Murray clawed one back, the marathon battle - the longest of the tournament - had taken its toll.
- LeBron is not envious of Golden State
- Steve Johnson Advances To Third Round Of French Open With Heavy Heart
- La livre sous pression — Elections britanniques
- Trump says Obamacare in 'death spiral,' urges Congress to act
- USA tells United Nations to remove 'anti-Israel bias'
- Church bus crashes near Atlanta, killing 1
- Apple iMac Pro computer for professionals
- Wall St flat as Comey's testimony underway
- Dragon Ball Fighters Accidentally Announced Before E3
- Apple reinvents home audio with the HomePod