Comey is explaining in his Senate Intelligence Committee testimony why he was reluctant to announce that Trump was not under investigation. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., and Sen. The 80-year-old Arizona Republican joked that he stayed up late watching an Arizona Diamondbacks game.
Instead, McCain flummoxed Comey with a question about why "the investigation of anything former Secretary Clinton had to do with the campaign is over and we don't have to worry about it anymore?"
McCain says his point was to find out if Comey believes his interactions with Trump rise to the level of obstruction of justice.
Comey pointed out that the Clinton investigation concerned her use of a private email server.
Saudi foreign minister says Gulf states alone can solve Qatar row
The Kuwaiti leader went to the UAE and Qatar on June 7 for talks on the crisis and is now back in Kuwait. Trump spoke to the Saudi king Tuesday, the White House said, delivering a very similar message.
"I'm a little confused", Comey responded. Comey finally answered: "'I don't know'".
McCain, who can alternate between gruff and self-deprecating, afterward made light of the mess.
McCain later issued a statement saying he was exhausted when he questioned Comey.
- Penguins head home upbeat despite back-to-back setbacks in Nashville
- EU expands sanctions against North Korea
- Apple's Upgrades To Location And Photo Privacy Features Are Pretty Great
- What nerves? Rookies making an impact in Stanley Cup Final
- Rights activists in Paris protest Putin visit
- What was James Comey thinking when he met with Trump?
- India could get the 6GB RAM HTC U11 Dual SIM variant
- This documentary footage shows London Bridge attacker confronting police in central London
- Man charged with battery in racially charged incident at Starbucks
- Nicklaus says Woods 'needs our help'