The House GOP conference is expected to ratify the Steering Committee's selection as early as next week, which would install Gowdy as the new chairman immediately.
Thursday's announcement confirms reporting that Gowdy was favored among Republican Steering Committee members to take Chaffetz's place.
He became a household name as chairman of the now-disbanded committee to investigate the September 2012 attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
The sharp-questioner and ultra-popular Gowdy will replace Utah Rep. Jason Chaffetz, who is leaving Congress at the end of the month. But given the respect that Gowdy has among his Republican colleagues, he's all but guaranteed approval.
Trump Organization to launch 'American Idea' hotel chain
Look, I realize how easy it is to grow inured to freaky political circumstances, but this should be hard for anyone to defend. Danziger has expressed confidence that these steps can help avoid any ethical trouble.
In his role as House Oversight chair, Chaffetz focused on numerous issues surrounding President Donald Trump's administration.
"The committee will continue to work towards ensuring effectiveness and efficiency throughout the federal government", Chaffetz said in a statement. Tim Scott, who has tried repeatedly to get Gowdy nominated for a judgeship, said of his best friend in Congress.
Gowdy, 52, a former federal prosecutor from SC, was among those considered by President Donald Trump to lead the FBI after the firing of former Director James Comey.
"Trey is tough-minded but evenhanded and will be fair but firm with wayward government employees", U.S. Rep. Jeff Duncan, a Republican from Laurens, added.
Gowdy accepted the post, saying in a statement he's "grateful" for the opportunity to serve. "His background as a skilled and effective prosecutor perfectly prepares him for this post".
He was also rumored to be on the Trump administration's shortlist to replace former FBI Director James Comey. "He has proven that he will always look out for taxpayers and seek answers from the bureaucracy".
- Hello Games Teases Possible New No Man's Sky Content
- Tottenham's Kyle Walker Gives 'No Clues' Where He Will Be Next Season
- Startling revelation by Wonder Woman actress will certainly impress you
- Portland stabbings suspect targets victim in outburst
- Xbox Scorpio : Microsoft dévoile de nouveaux détails sur sa prochaine console
- Girl, daughter of NBC vice president, killed; dad arrested
- Climat : les Etats-Unis désireux de "coopérer" avec la Chine
- Rapper attacked on stage during San Diego concert
- Three more men arrested over London Bridge attack
- North Korea missiles a 'direct threat' to Russian Federation