Microsoft is advocating those who want to publish their Word, PowerPoint and PDF content use SlideShare.
The shutdown was first spotted by ZDNet.
A statement from Microsoft regarding the service's closure makes no mention of this kerfuffle, however, instead referring to another service it acquired as part of its purchase of LinkedIn. It was effectively an effort to get ahead of the then rapidly growing threat of Google Docs by jumping on the back of a more popular social network to give it a jump start.
December 15, 2017 - The Docs.com site and all of its content will be officially discontinued. File formats the service supported included Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF, and Sway's.
Microsoft is advising users to migrate and/or delete content they shared on Docs.com as soon as possible. The tech giant decided this owing to the fact that this service coincided with the offerings of SlideShare and OneDrive.
After disastrous election gamble, Theresa May not
At that point, polls predicted she would massively increase the slim majority she had inherited from predecessor David Cameron. Rachel Sheard, who cast her vote near the site of the London Bridge attack, said the election certainly wasn't about Brexit.
As of today, June 9, creating new Docs.com accounts is no longer supported.
Not long ago, Docs.com made headlines after it was discovered that content on that site was easily discoverable via the search feature on the site which exposed sensitive content under the right scenario.
Microsoft published instructions for moving files and content from Docs.com to OneDrive and/or OneDrive for Business. (Microsoft will automate the transfer on your behalf).
Docs.com is notable for having been in the centre of a row about privacy, security and data leakage at the beginning of the year. But unbeknownst to some users, Docs.com serves as public file repository. According to an accompanying online advisory, the decision to shutter Docs.com comes after one of Microsoft's biggest buys of 2016. Until May 18, 2018, any links to Docs.com content you've previously shared with others that have been automatically redirected to your OneDrive or OneDrive for Business account will stop working.
Further information on the process, including what happens to public links, what happens if your OneDrive storage limit is less than the file volume on Docs.com and what to do if you're an Office 365 administrator can be found here.
- David Moyes hit with £30000 fine for 'slap' remark
- Belgium's Hazard out for three months after ankle surgery
- 'Pirates of the Caribbean' tops box office, 'Baywatch' sinks
- Trump's lawyer accuses Comey of perjury
- "He's just new to this": Paul Ryan defends Trump's behavior around Comey
- Brexit Remains Certain Despite Surprising UK Election Results - Paris
- California Senators Question Former FBI Director Comey On Trump And Russia
- Apple's HomePod pumps up the volume on its tech rivals
- LeBron James weighs in on the fairness of this Warriors 'super team'
- Porte shines on Dauphine time trial as Froome disappoints