However, hundreds of homes were flooded or damaged, authorities said.
The storm forced President Jacob Zuma, who was in Cape Town, to cancel a speech to an global media conference in Durban, a city on the Indian Ocean coastline.
City officials in Cape Town said their teams are also on standby to evacuate residents in high risk areas such as informal settlements, and Disaster Management Centre spokesperson Charlotte Powell said they will be ready to take action and minimise damage if the storm poses any dangers.
One other person was killed when a building collapsed.
Snow was forecast in higher regions of the Western Cape, while the weather service warned of possible flash floods.
"We are expecting heavy rainfall, strong winds, and waves between 9m and 12m along the coastal areas of the Cape Peninsula", said de Lille.
Applied Materials, Inc. (AMAT) — Trending Stock Alert
Bluecrest Cap Mngmt owns 148,254 shares. 627.42 million shares or 0.25% less from 629.02 million shares in 2016Q3 were reported. During current year the company's forecasts over growth are 76% while for the next year analysts' growth estimation is 4.9%.
Schools and universities have had to shut, roofs were blown off and shelters have been opened for those left destitute.
The Khayelitsha township, a vast encampment of tightly-packed shacks just outside Cape Town, was reported to be totally deserted except for a handful of children and suffered severe flooding.
The intense storm resulted in 15 people being displaced in Imizamo Yethu, Hout Bay.
Late on Tuesday night, the wind came over the mountains‚ uprooting and wrecking at least six houses at the camp, while driving rain destroyed people's possessions.
It's the worst storm to hit the province in three decades, prompting Western Cape Disaster Management to urge residents to remain indoors as the storm is expected to increase in severity.
Some of South Africa's most respected wine estates, including Groot Constantia, Durbanville Hills, Diemersdal, Klein Constantia, Nitida, Meerendal, Buitenverwachting and Cape Point Vineyards, will be allowed to use the designation, bringing together several areas of production close to the city.
- Une déchirure musculaire plutôt qu'une entorse — Abandon de Goffin
- Mistake in birth control packaging could result in unintended pregnancy
- Brad Pitt delivers grim weather report on 'Jim Jefferies Show'
- La Cnuced prévoit un rebond des investissements directs étrangers
- CCTV footage of police shootout with London Bridge attackers emerges
- Can Apple's (AAPL) HomePod Outmuscle Amazon and Google?
- Tenet Healthcare Corp (THC) Research Coverage Started at Morgan Stanley
- Apple Unveils New 13 Inch MacBook Pro At WWDC 2017
- Donaldson hits tiebreaking two-run homer against former club
- Apple pushes Siri to the fore at annual developer conference