Breast cancer is far more common in women who have had children, and she didn't want to risk falling ill again. They found that those who became pregnant after a cancer diagnosis were no more likely to have their cancer return than those who didn't have a baby.
The study took the women that were pregnant and put them in groups with two other women with similar situations with cancer.
It's a big issue - the average age of moms has been rising and more women are being diagnosed with breast cancer in their childbearing years.
Study lead author Dr Matteo Lambertini, medical oncologist and ESMO fellow at the Institut Jules Bordet, said: "Our findings confirm that pregnancy after breast cancer should not be discouraged, even for women with ER-positive cancer". More than half of the 1,200 breast cancer survivors who participated in the research had tumors whose growth was charged by estrogen.
A big study underway now in the USA and other countries is taking this research one step further, testing whether it's safe for breast cancer survivors who want to get pregnant to temporarily suspend taking the hormone-blocking drugs like tamoxifen usually recommended for five years after initial treatment.
NY students can apply for free college tuition beginning Wednesday
Before Wednesday, MCC held several informational sessions to answer students' questions about the scholarship and where to begin. To be eligible this year, students must be NY residents and come from households making less than $100,000 a year.
Sarah Murray, a breast cancer survivor, gave birth to her son Owen in December. She is helping enroll patients in the study, called POSITIVE.
Currently, a larger study is looking to find out if women can temporarily suspend taking hormone-blocking drugs while pregnant, that is usually recommended for five years after initial treatment.
Murray beat the odds becoming the first American women in the study to have had a baby. She was planning to have children.
"We had just set the date when I got diagnosed, the same week". However, she explained "I didn't want the fear to have power over a decision that would bring so much joy".
- Mexico sugar lobby says still wants dumping probe of US fructose
- Apple's iOS 11 update ends support for iPhone 5 and 5C
- Universal's Monsterverse Adds Hunchback of Notre Dame and Phantom of the Opera
- What's Propelling Diebold Incorporated (NYSE:DBD) After Higher Shorts Reported?
- Barzani: Iraqi Kurds to vote on independence in September
- Indian youth from Telangana shot at in California
- 200 passagers bloqués 10 heures à l'aéroport de Saint-Étienne — Ryanair
- North Korea fires suspected cruise missiles after U.S. drills
- Un enfant de 3 ans grièvement blessé par un chien — Aigues-Mortes
- Volume Moving the Tape For Jupiter Fund Management PLC (JUP.L)