She chased down ball after ball, played some incredible baseline defense, and coaxed the increasingly frustrated Svitolina into a flurry of unforced errors late in the match.
The third seed was briefly dumped by coach Darren Cahill in March because of her poor attitude and the Australian will certainly know he made the right decision in coming back after this superb display of fighting spirit.
"She played well. Then I played better". I think I played exactly what I had to.
But Halep played virtually error-free tennis the rest of the way to win 12 of the final 13 games against her increasingly flustered opponent.
"I don't really need to talk about this match as a bad experience".
Heather Watson won 7-6, 6-1 in the first round of the Wimbledon warm-up against Russia's Alla Kudryavtseva, while Stockport's Naomi Broady beat fellow Brit Tara Moore 6-2, 6-3.
"I showed that I'm stronger mentally", said Halep.
Halep dropped her first set of the tournament in her last match, but won a second set tiebreak and the final set, 6-0.
Halep becomes World No 1 if she beats Pliskova and wins title.
Les matches dames ont repris après une 2e interruption — Roland-Garros
La pluie a contraint les organisateurs à reporter les deux quarts de finale du simple messieurs prévus ce mardi. Toutes les deux disputeront les demi-finales d'un tournoi du Grand Chelem pour la première fois.
Perhaps the only player who could match Bacsinszky in terms of storyline would be Wozniacki.
The match had looked set to be the first real test of Halep's title credentials but she was so utterly in control it only lasted an hour.
Don't let the seedings fool you: Halep will be a strong favorite going into this match, not the least because few players are as risky in a Grand Slam draw as those who had faced match point in a previous round and lived to tell.
Martic, ranked 290th, served for the match at 5-3 on Court Suzanne Lenglen but was broken by Svitolina.
"I just tried to make her move more, to open [up] the court, and it came". I didn't give up.
Thursdays semifinals are (2) Pliskova vs. (3) Halep, and (30) Timea Bacsinszky vs. teen Jelena Ostapenko.
- Nine-time champion Rafael Nadal has booked a spot in the semi-finals after Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta retired during the second set due to a left abdominal muscle injury.
"I came in playing garbage".
"Definitely there were a lot of free points from the serve, a few aces as well, and I think that was the key".
French dreams of an all-Gallic final at the French Open lay in soggy tatters by Wednesday afternoon in Paris, as Kristina Mladenovic and Caroline Garcia were both beaten in the quarterfinals on successive days.
- Florida Lawmakers in Special Session, But May Get Nowhere
- Moins de 2 euros pour 20 Go — Bouygues Télécom
- Cattle slaughter law: SC to hear plea on June 15
- Qatar says Saudi-led move to bar citizens breach of rights
- 1 dead in twin attacks on Iran parliament, Khomeini shrine
- Market wary of big sterling swings as Britain votes
- Qui sont les deux Français toujours portés disparus — Attentat de Londres
- What Trump has said about Comey over the past year
- British Police Name Third Attacker From Saturday's Rampage In London
- Législatives : un candidat En Marche ! soupçonné de détournement de fonds