She chased down ball after ball, played some incredible baseline defense, and coaxed the increasingly frustrated Svitolina into a flurry of unforced errors late in the match.
The third seed was briefly dumped by coach Darren Cahill in March because of her poor attitude and the Australian will certainly know he made the right decision in coming back after this superb display of fighting spirit.
"She played well. Then I played better". I think I played exactly what I had to.
But Halep played virtually error-free tennis the rest of the way to win 12 of the final 13 games against her increasingly flustered opponent.
"I don't really need to talk about this match as a bad experience".
Heather Watson won 7-6, 6-1 in the first round of the Wimbledon warm-up against Russia's Alla Kudryavtseva, while Stockport's Naomi Broady beat fellow Brit Tara Moore 6-2, 6-3.
"I showed that I'm stronger mentally", said Halep.
Halep dropped her first set of the tournament in her last match, but won a second set tiebreak and the final set, 6-0.
Halep becomes World No 1 if she beats Pliskova and wins title.
Durant's dagger 3 lifts Warriors over Cavs in Game 3
With 75 seconds left, first-year Warrior Durant knocked down a gentle floater over Tristan Thompson before his signature moment. LeBron James had 39 points, 11 rebounds and nine assists for the Cavaliers , and Kyrie Irving added 38 points.
Perhaps the only player who could match Bacsinszky in terms of storyline would be Wozniacki.
The match had looked set to be the first real test of Halep's title credentials but she was so utterly in control it only lasted an hour.
Don't let the seedings fool you: Halep will be a strong favorite going into this match, not the least because few players are as risky in a Grand Slam draw as those who had faced match point in a previous round and lived to tell.
Martic, ranked 290th, served for the match at 5-3 on Court Suzanne Lenglen but was broken by Svitolina.
"I just tried to make her move more, to open [up] the court, and it came". I didn't give up.
Thursdays semifinals are (2) Pliskova vs. (3) Halep, and (30) Timea Bacsinszky vs. teen Jelena Ostapenko.
- Nine-time champion Rafael Nadal has booked a spot in the semi-finals after Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta retired during the second set due to a left abdominal muscle injury.
"I came in playing garbage".
"Definitely there were a lot of free points from the serve, a few aces as well, and I think that was the key".
French dreams of an all-Gallic final at the French Open lay in soggy tatters by Wednesday afternoon in Paris, as Kristina Mladenovic and Caroline Garcia were both beaten in the quarterfinals on successive days.
- Fired FBI Chief Set to Testify About His Conversations With Trump
- $3.8 billion Dakota Access oil pipeline begins service
- Qatar says Saudi-led move to bar citizens breach of rights
- Les matches dames ont repris après une 2e interruption — Roland-Garros
- Market wary of big sterling swings as Britain votes
- Nicola Sturgeon stands by Kezia Dugdale independence referendum claims
- Cattle slaughter law: SC to hear plea on June 15
- Mueller Cleared by DOJ Ethics Experts to Lead Russia Probe
- I am not in manager Conte's plans at Chelsea, says Costa
- Mort d'un troisième français — Londres