One striking piece of news emerged from Rosenstein's briefing: He told senators that he had already known Comey was getting fired even as he wrote the memo that Trump cited as a significant justification for the Federal Bureau of Investigation director's dismissal.
"When I chose to just do it I said to myself, I said, 'You know, this Russian Federation thing with Trump and Russian Federation is a made-up story, '" Mr Trump told NBC's Lester Holt.
The House intelligence committee is asking for more government documents - this time about the ouster of FBI Director Jim Comey and conversations he had with President Donald Trump about investigations into Russian meddling in the election.
In his earlier Twitter posts, Trump criticized the naming of former FBI Director Robert Mueller as a special counsel by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, an official he himself appointed.
President Donald Trump is assailing the naming of a special counsel as "the single greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history!"
USA launches NAFTA renegotiation countdown
This is the first step toward reshaping a trade deal that became law in 1994 and changed the face of trade in North America. President Donald Trump's threats to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement are coming to fruition.
He did not provide examples or evidence of any alleged "illegal acts".
The White House Counsel's office represents the presidency, but aides are making the case to Trump that he needs an outside legal team for this probe. "In the meantime, I will never stop fighting for the people and the issues that matter most to the future of our country". Claire McCaskill said that Rosenstein, who has come under scrutiny for being perceived as the inspiration for Trump firing Comey, told the senators that Trump was planning on terminating Comey before the deputy attorney general wrote his letter of recommendation.
The Justice Department has appointed former FBI Director Robert Mueller (MUHL'-ur) as a special counsel to lead a federal investigation into allegations that Donald Trump's campaign collaborated with Russian Federation to sway the 2016 election that put him in the White House.
Trump last week fired ex-FBI Director James Comey, whose agency was investigating the president's campaign, and reports since then have raised questions about whether he had tried to influence the investigation.
Asked about possible obstruction of justice, Republican House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan told reporters the special counsel would "follow the facts where ever they may lead" and that "it is premature to prejudge anything at this point".
- Is Julian Edelman the cause of Matt Harvey's suspension?
- Corbyn: Labour won't hit £80000 earners with immediate income tax hike
- FCC security manhandles a Washington reporter trying to ask a question
- Lewis Hamilton WINS Spanish Grand Prix after epic battle with Sebastian Vettel
- Macron's first non-Europe trip focuses on fighting extremism
- Rogue One Star Felicity Jones Engaged to Boyfriend Charles Guard
- S&P upgrades Indonesia's sovereign rating to investment grade
- Plug Power Inc. (NASDAQ:PLUG) Future Growth Projections From Analysts
- April's Jobless Rate Drops, But The State Also Lost Jobs Last Month
- Ces joueurs d’origine africaine évoluant pour des nations européennes