The Red Devils are desperate to keep De Gea at the Theatre of Dreams, but know they will have a fight on their hands as long-time admirers Real Madrid, who nearly signed the keeper in 2015, remain heavily interested in the player, who is also said to have a lifelong dream of playing for Los Blancos.
With this in mind, United themselves have been looking for replacements for De Gea.
Romero, 30, has next season plus the option for a further year on his current contract.
United signed him fro Atletico Madrid in 2011, and he almost moved to their bitter rivals Real in 2015 before botched paperwork scuppered the deal.
In De Gea's absence, Romero showed all of his qualities against the Saints on Wednesday evening as he was awarded the Man of the Match award for his performance, which included a penalty save.
The Wizards needed Beal, Wall at their best; only one delivered
This season, they have advanced through the first two rounds, defeating the Chicago Bulls and Washington Wizards in the process. The Wizards got it down to 101-97 with 6:10 to play because of Beal's four-point play, but they couldn't get stops.
He said: "I played one year with Gabbiadini in Sampdoria in Italy and a lot of training".
If that is the case, he should be playing one of the world's top goalkeepers in the final against Ajax next Wednesday. "The most important is the club and the fans and we will go there in Stockholm to win". Sergio Romero has been great and I think he is a very good worldwide goalkeeper and he has to stay.
"And now with the confidence that Jose gives me, the confidence the players give me and the confidence I have, this is very important and I will try and do my best for for the team".
However, it appears as though he isn't the only goalkeeper being linked with a move to Man Utd this summer, as the Manchester Evening News claim that Benfica's Ederson is also on the transfer shortlist.
- Does Antero Midstream Partners LP (NYSE:AM)'s Growth Make it a Buy?
- Hulot "certain de trouver un point de rencontre" avec Philippe
- S. Korean president vows to reopen probe into 1980 massacre
- Acte 2 face au PSG en finale de la Coupe de France
- Char Dham rail project final survey to begin on May 13
- GST Council meet from today to fix rates on goods, services
- GOP'er Calls Out Party: Hillary Would Be Impeached If She Leaked Info
- Explaining the mechanics of the Trump-Russia special counsel
- CVS Health Corp (CVS) Receives Average Rating of "Buy" from Analysts
- Former US Rep. Anthony Weiner pleads guilty, could get years in prison