The Red Devils are desperate to keep De Gea at the Theatre of Dreams, but know they will have a fight on their hands as long-time admirers Real Madrid, who nearly signed the keeper in 2015, remain heavily interested in the player, who is also said to have a lifelong dream of playing for Los Blancos.
With this in mind, United themselves have been looking for replacements for De Gea.
Romero, 30, has next season plus the option for a further year on his current contract.
United signed him fro Atletico Madrid in 2011, and he almost moved to their bitter rivals Real in 2015 before botched paperwork scuppered the deal.
In De Gea's absence, Romero showed all of his qualities against the Saints on Wednesday evening as he was awarded the Man of the Match award for his performance, which included a penalty save.
Former US Rep. Anthony Weiner faces charges in sexting case
Clinton believes the hit her campaign took from the revelation led her to lose the election to Donald Trump. Abedin was among a tight-knit group that had an email address on Clinton's private server.
He said: "I played one year with Gabbiadini in Sampdoria in Italy and a lot of training".
If that is the case, he should be playing one of the world's top goalkeepers in the final against Ajax next Wednesday. "The most important is the club and the fans and we will go there in Stockholm to win". Sergio Romero has been great and I think he is a very good worldwide goalkeeper and he has to stay.
"And now with the confidence that Jose gives me, the confidence the players give me and the confidence I have, this is very important and I will try and do my best for for the team".
However, it appears as though he isn't the only goalkeeper being linked with a move to Man Utd this summer, as the Manchester Evening News claim that Benfica's Ederson is also on the transfer shortlist.
- Does Antero Midstream Partners LP (NYSE:AM)'s Growth Make it a Buy?
- Char Dham rail project final survey to begin on May 13
- It's time for President Trump and James Comey to come clean
- Senate panel chairman: Flynn won't honor subpoena
- GOP'er Calls Out Party: Hillary Would Be Impeached If She Leaked Info
- Senate demands Comey memos and Trump tapes as probes ramp up
- Cleveland Cavaliers get jump on new partnership with Goodyear
- Hulot "certain de trouver un point de rencontre" avec Philippe
- Former US Rep. Anthony Weiner pleads guilty, could get years in prison
- S. Korean president vows to reopen probe into 1980 massacre