Their goalkeeper Sergio Romero shone as he saved a barrage of hard shots, including an early Manolo Gabbiadini penalty and a ferocious Dusan Tadic free kick in the second half as the Saints failed to score at home in a fourth successive game.
"I think we played a good team, a good game, against a team that tried to win and tried to finish well and finish eighth".
"I have been here seven years and I never saw any detail trying to care about the English teams involved in European competitions".
With a top-four finish in England out of United's reach, winning the Europa League remains their only route to Champions League football next season and the Argentine keeper shone ahead of the club's most important game under Mourinho.
When asked when De Gea would next play for United, Mourinho told Sky Sports: "I think the first match in pre-season against Los Angeles". I hope to play Sergio in the final.
Having denied Gabbiadini after Eric Bailly handled the ball on the edge of the penalty area, Romero also kept out a fierce Dusan Tadic free kick in the second half before United's Anthony Martial hit the woodwork. "I said I want to participate also on the game and this was a strong shot".
Flipkart, Amazon top LinkedIn's companies list
On their first day, employees of Flipkart are picked by chauffeur-driven cars and sent on a treasure hunt to make them familiarise with the office.
"We will bring 3-4 of the first-team players on Sunday, one half for each one, to give a bit of experience for each and save them all for Wednesday", Mourinho said.
Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger plans to review manager Claude Puel's future at the season's end, and after his team failed to score for the fourth home game in succession, sections of their supporters booed them off. Sergio had a very good performance - more than very good.
The Portuguese said: "I hope the fans at Old Trafford on Sunday the support the team; they forgive naivety and some lack of confidence. They showed me they want to be an option for the final".
"It's a third penalty miss".
"But this point is important for us in the table". "It's a problem perhaps for us but in the second half I'm happy with our comeback".
- How MS Dhoni became Mumbai Indians' nemesis in IPL. Parthiv Patel explains
- How to protect yourself from the global ransomware attack
- Federal Bureau of Investigation inquiry is 'greatest witch hunt' in history
- Trump again blows up a careful White House statement with a tweet
- Ctrip.Com International Ltd (CTRP) Downgraded to Sell at ValuEngine
- Crucial 14th GST council meeting in Srinagar from Thursday
- Speculation: The LA Clippers should consider Kyle Lowry if Chris Paul leaves
- Israël fait profil bas face au scandale des informations classifiées de Trump
- Japan Aso says gradually seeing the course of US policies
- Lonzo to work out for Lakers only, LaVar says