If children are not vaccinated by the age of six, the school starting age, their parents will be fined.
The Italian cabinet on Friday approved a decree to make vaccines compulsory for all for all school starters.
Premier Paolo Gentiloni told a news conference that the new rules aimed to combat "anti-scientific theories" that have lowered Italy's vaccination rates in recent years.
In addition to four already compulsory vaccinations, for polio, diphtheria, hepatitis B and whooping cough, the new law now also covers vaccination against measles and meningitis, diseases that have recently seen a dramatic spike in Italy, prompting the United States to issue a travel warning for Italy.
The country's health institute recorded 2,395 cases of measles so far this year, which is a stark increase to the 840 recorded in all of 2016, and 250 in 2015.
"We are sending a very strong message to the public", said Health Minister Beatrice Lorenzin.
Reporters barred from Kushner Companies' visa-for-investment event in China
Almost 90 per cent of EB-5 visas were issued to Chinese nationals in 2014, when the programme reached its quota of 10,000 visas. On Sunday Meyer was introduced in Chinese to investors as a representative of "a famed celebrity investment family".
While acknowledging that vaccination had contributed to the victory over some of the world's most serious and risky diseases, Grillo said that they still "bring a risk associated with side-effects" and are aiding pharmaceutical companies across the world.
The new infections were quite homogeneously distributed across Italian regions, and 89 percent of the cases involved non-vaccinated people, the institute said.
Mr Wakefield was struck off the United Kingdom medical register after fraudulently claiming there was a link between the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine (MMR) and autism and bowel disease in children.
Gentiloni's centre-left government has accused the anti-establishment 5-Star Movement of sowing fear among parents by questioning the safety of some vaccines and the scruples of multinational pharmaceutical firms.
"5-Star is riding the wave of disinformation, nourishing fear and favoring a position that is anti-science and risky for the whole community", said Federico Gelli, a deputy from the ruling Democratic Party.
- Hertz Global Holdings, Inc (HTZ) Bonds Rise 1.3% During Trading
- Conservatives record early gains in United Kingdom local elections
- Trump allies come up with the wrong response to the Comey bombshell
- Japan Aso says gradually seeing the course of US policies
- Jadhav's case should not be politicized, says speaker NA
- Paytm Now US$7 Bn Strong; Gains US$1.4 Bn from SoftBank
- Crucial 14th GST council meeting in Srinagar from Thursday
- OPEC, non-OPEC discuss extending supply cut by nine months or more
- NBA: Gobert (Utah) dans la 2e équipe-type de la saison
- Macron reçoit le secrétaire général de l'ONU Guterres — France