Nye said he expects the central bank to maintain a cautious tone in their policy announcement next week, reinforcing market expectations that a rate hike is unlikely this year. Economists surveyed by Bloomberg had forecast the index would rise 1.7 percent on the back of higher gasoline prices.
The three new measures of core inflation that the Bank of Canada set previous year remained muted.
Economists said the reports released by Statistics Canada on Friday were not likely to move the Bank of Canada off the sidelines when it meets next week.
In addition, the cost of kids' clothing was 6.2 per cent lower and women's clothes cost 2.8 per cent less in April, compared with a year earlier.
Federal Bureau of Investigation inquiry is 'greatest witch hunt' in history
It later emerged that Comey made note of Trump's request in a memo that was saved. Besieged by controversy at home, U.S.
Manitoba's retail sales also edged higher in March, rising by 0.3 per cent to $1.64 billion from $1.63 billion in February.
The annual headline inflation rate matched Statistics Canada's 1.6 per cent reading for March, but was slightly below a consensus estimate of 1.7 per cent, according to Thomson Reuters data. CPI-common stayed at 1.3 per cent last month, CPI-median decelerated to 1.6 per cent from 1.7 per cent and CPI-trim slowed to 1.3 per cent from 1.4 per cent.
Prices rose at a slower pace year-over-year in five provinces, while they were unchanged in two provinces.
Canadian retail sales rose more than expected in March, driven by increased purchases at new and used cars dealers, as well as electronics and appliance stores, data from Statistics Canada showed on Friday.
- GOP Senators Won't 'Let The American People Down' On O'Care Repeal
- Sirius XM Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ:SIRI) Valuation According To Analysts
- Trump allies come up with the wrong response to the Comey bombshell
- OPEC, non-OPEC discuss extending supply cut by nine months or more
- Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday in play-off stalemate
- Un membre du Congrès américain demande officiellement la destitution de Donald Trump !
- Japan Aso says gradually seeing the course of US policies
- Crucial 14th GST council meeting in Srinagar from Thursday
- Speculation: The LA Clippers should consider Kyle Lowry if Chris Paul leaves
- Jose Mourinho says Manchester United's last Premier League game should be moved