Participation of police officers was brought into question a year ago, after Black Lives Matter Vancouver asked police to voluntarily withdraw its float from the Pride Parade, as a "show of solidarity and understanding" that officer involvement in the march creates an unsafe atmosphere for some communities. "These minorities are marginalized and vulnerable groups have been historically oppressed by police and the symbol of that oppression is [the] uniform", said Burgess.
VPD members and volunteers will walk as part of the City of Vancouver entry, which will include city staff and members of Vancouver Fire & Rescue Services.
No marked police or law enforcement vehicles will be allowed in the parade.
"So we have a number of officers, a small number of officers who'll be attending in uniform, the opportunity is there for some of our representative officers". Sirens are also not allowed to be used during the parade. Randy Fincham, VPD spokesperson.
Conservatives record early gains in United Kingdom local elections
On the Isle of Wight , 10 extra seats for the Conservatives give them an overall majority at the expense of the Independents . Like today as well, the council elections were held in May, followed by a General Election the month after.
In a statement on Facebook, the Vancouver Pride Society says the deal was reached after months of negotiations. "That's actually the request of other groups who are representing that parade as well, and they have expressed concerns with members in uniform". One in five officers will wear their uniforms, including those "who are visible in the community", according to the VPD.
This petition comes after members of the Black Lives Matter Vancouver chapter pushed a year ago for the VPD to voluntarily withdraw all uniformed officers from the parade.
Black Lives Matter Vancouver asked the VPD last summer to voluntarily withdraw from the parade, an event police have taken part in every year since 2002, as "a show of solidarity and understanding" because the presence of uniformed officers makes some minority groups feel unsafe.
- Jadhav's case should not be politicized, says speaker NA
- Reporters barred from Kushner Companies' visa-for-investment event in China
- Novavax, Inc. (NASDAQ:NVAX) Reports Q1 Revenues of $5.7 million
- Amazon Echo Show is the New Touchscreen Echo Device, Priced at $230
- Car drives wrong way in Times Square and hits crowds; 1 dead
- Un membre du Congrès américain demande officiellement la destitution de Donald Trump !
- 22h49 Multiplex de la dernière journée de Ligue 2 en direct
- Several injured, 1 dead after speeding vehicle drives into Times
- Jose Mourinho says Manchester United's last Premier League game should be moved
- Macron Wins French Election