The cause of death has been determined as suicide by hanging.
Multiple reports say that he was staying at MGM Grand Detroit.
The vocalist's unexpected death has stunned fans all over the world.
Cornell was a leader of the Seattle sound movement with Soundgarden - with whom he gained critical and commercial acclaim - but also found success outside the band with other projects, including Audioslave, Temple of the Dog as well as solo albums.
As the charismatic frontman, Cornell was known for his raw and soulful voice.
What was he doing in Detroit: Cornell had just finished a Soundgarden show at the Fox Theatre in Detroit last night.
Plus d'une centaine de singes d'un parc animalier euthanasiée ce vendredi — Landes
Ces singes ont été pris en charge depuis par le personnel du zoo de Labenne . L'équipement, inadapté selon les autorités, avait été pointé du doigt.
"To create the intimacy of an acoustic performance there needed to be real stories". "That's always a challenge in three and a half or four minutes - to be able to do that, to be able to do it directly".
Cornell, a former addict and alcoholic, became sober in 2002, and reflected on his journey with substances - and the journeys of his peers - in a 2015 interview with Rolling Stone.
At 16, though, something changed. Cornell founded Soundgarden in 1984 and wrote, recorded and performed many chart-topping hits during the grunge and post-grunge periods. In 2001, the singer joined Audioslave, formed from former Rage Against the Machine members. The band had reunited in 2010 after years on hiatus.
Tributes continue to flow for Cornell, who was a leading figure in the 90s grunge music scene as the head of Soundgarden, and later moving on to work with super-group Audioslave.
But as successful as Cornell's public life was, his private life was often marked by problems. Medical examiner: Chris Cornell's death rul.
Cornell was roommates with Andrew Wood, lead singer of the Mother Love Bone, who died of a heroin overdose in 1990. "I'm just shocked", he said. I'd like to think you were saying goodbye in your own way. He is survived by wife Vicky Krayiannis, his son, Christopher, and his daughters, Toni and Lillian.
- Ruddy not an improvement on West Ham United's current goalkeepers
- Ex-FBI Director Mueller to lead Trump-Russia investigation
- Sondage : Emmanuel Macron et Edouard Philippe ne bénéficient pas d'état de grâce
- Fractious House panel at center of latest Trump probes
- China, ASEAN agree on framework for South China Sea code of conduct
- Cyber attack: NHS Tayside returns to normal
- James Neal wins Game 1 in OT for Nashville Predators
- Deux chasseurs chinois interceptent un avion militaire américain — Mer de Chine
- Med View airline banned from European airspace
- Man who ran over pedestrians was 'hearing voices'